FZ8 - what they like to ride?

cupcake1973
This post is 4145 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As much as I love my little XJ6, I've taken quite a fancy to the FZ8N and was just wondering if anyone has one, or has any experience of what they are like?

Husband rode an FZ1 and he said that, while it's a great bike, it's very twitchy and tends to be to the extremes of all or nothing with the throttle - snatchy acceleration and not particularly smooth. He said it's a bit mental :D

Is the FZ8 like that too? Or is it a bit more 'rounded' in terms of rideability? I don't want anything that's hard work. My XJ6 is easy to get on with and I'm wondering if the FZ8 is just a bigger version, or is it more like a smaller mad-machine like the FZ1?

Yes I know I really ought to take one for a test ride - great in theory but I'm small and dealers don't tend to have lowered ones as demo bikes and I struggle a LOT on standard sized models :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Cant speak for the 8 but the nasty fi on the fz1 is not new. Power commander dials it right back to sensible.

Bit cheeky to buy parts to make a new bike work though.

Go on cupcake join us on the dark side..... Go classic. You know you want to.. Late 80's. Fz Rd pick your poison....

Lot less bother with seat heights.

Buying parts to make a bike work is not new on me - I owned a Harley remember!! Spent a fortune fitting a full stage 1 on that just to make it even half rideable :rolleyes:

Didn't expect to have to do the same to a Yamaha though - usually expect Jap bikes (newer ones especially) to be rideable straight out of the box, as it were :huh:

As for the dark side, well my old FZR400 was the oldest bike I had and I swear it was heavier than my Harley. Not sure I'm ready to go back to old classics yet. I'm enjoying modern life after the tractor too much :D

Cynics right cupcake, older bikes are smaller and you get to give an old bike a new lease of life, RD is manic but fun to ride you will kick yourself if you don't try it. And they are still making spares for them so no probs with getting parts or servicing. :jossun:

Bought a new Fazer8 last week - have to say it is awesome. FZ8N looks better without the screen and half fairing but I needed the practicality.

Can't recommend it enough!

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look of the N better too, but I'd have the half-faired one also since I'm only little and tend to get buffeted around a bit on naked bikes. I'd have a more comfortable ride on the faired version.

Glad you like it. I'll be looking for one next year I think :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online