YB100 Restore : 1980 model (100cc) :)

fakhir
This post is 4103 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Another angle. Carbon pancake:

8709573441_16cca9c14d_b.jpg

Really zoomed in. Are these small bar-like marks on the top edge of the piston head normal?

8709573561_566053f8f3_b.jpg

3/4 view of the piston. Looks like some mechanic applied loads of gasket cement LOL

8709573387_40efa1b10d_b.jpg

Bottom lip of the piston. Signs of grinding with the cylinder (I maybe wrong though. Will check it out in detail later on)

8709573431_326e92ef78_b.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Analysing the piston from side. Got my finger prints on it as well LOL

8709573273_46d0bca230_b.jpg

Zooming in. Area near top of the piston. Looks like the piston was having tough time with the cylinder. Loads of grinding marks. Is this normal? I can't say anything about the piston/cylinder clearance right now as I haven't bought appropriate tools yet.

8710696342_f5bae48e44_b.jpg

Some area in the middle:

8710696422_54fae70d4a_b.jpg

Near the bottom of the piston. Vertical scratches are a bit understandable but what on earth are these horizontal brown lines?

8710696382_6d1eed34cb_b.jpg

Alright, next we should check out the oil pump. I had to cut most of the pipes with a really sharp knife.

8709573049_b0453bf315_b.jpg

Zoom:

8710696098_efa5f3c0a9_b.jpg

Deformed screws once again:

8710696058_530183d98c_b.jpg

The condition of the screws is horrendous. You MUST buy an impact screw driver !!! Till now my trusty impact screw driver has opened up even the most rusty, soft and screwed up screws as shown below:

8709572929_067fa0ddf6_b.jpg

Oil pump body closeup:

8710695696_b1053ef511_b.jpg

Another pump shot:

8709572805_1c24c9a5b1_b.jpg

Closeup. I have no idea what this green stuff is. But as I see there is still some pretty good oil left in there even after 10 years!

8710695738_13099d990e_b.jpg

Oil pump from another angle. Gunk, rust and fungus. How to clean this up? smiley-undecided.gif Would be a total nightmare.

8710695350_3295098219_b.jpg

Zooming in a bit:

8709572491_fc6dedc757_b.jpg

Even more oil pump shots. (And no, oil pump is NOT my favourite component :P ). Check the amount of fungus on the pump.

8710695340_13062cf74e_b.jpg

First there was green gunk, now brown sh!t is coming out:

8710695234_4a39102034_b.jpg

8710695294_6693b47efd_b.jpg

Enough with the oil pump... Moving on...

Alright guys, this is it for now. Thank you for viewing and commenting on this thread. You can also subscribe this thread to make sure you get all the latest updates !

Right now I am facing the following challenge. Main rotor nut has already been taken off the wheel. I really need to get the rotor wheel off but I guess the rust has gotten way too deep into the assembly. Any ideas how to remove this ???

8710695380_d6e99506d6_b.jpg

Hopefully see you next week. (as I already mentioned that I am too lazy and work only on weekends smiley-tongue-out.gif ). Please feel free to ask questions, comments, suggestions, pointers, anything currently in your mind. That will help me a lot!

yor camera is amazing...loved the fly close up

you can keep the rest...far too picture heavy, takes an age to load up with my poor internet speed!

Thanks :) . It is just an ordinary point and shoot camera (canon brand, 4-5 years old).

As I mentioned in my very last post, I am having problems getting the rotor wheel off the engine. Any ideas / help / pointers are greatly appreciated :)

yes turn it until its tight and then hit the end with a heavy hammer, make sure its still tight and repeat

Thanks, i'll try it out.

One more thing. While removing the cylinder, I saw strange marks on the piston as shown below. Vertical scratches might be due to piston grinding with the cylinder walls. But what are these horizontal brownish lines on the piston?

8710696382_6d1eed34cb_b.jpg

Loved the photos Fakhir, your getting on really well, most of the stuff you call FUNGUS is just the aluminium reacting to moisture and neglect, just clean it with soap and water and then brush it off with a wire brush, make sure you don't breath this crap in as it is nasty stuff and your lungs will not thank you for it, most of the GREEN GUNK is just old oil that has separated during the years so again just wash it off and make sure you get right inside the part to remove it the BROWN GUNK is a bit more worrying as it is a mixture of oil and rust from inside the engine/pump that probably means that the seals are gone and any metal washers are also knackered just take it apart and replace anything that looks suspect. Airhead is the man when it comes to 2 strokes so if you have any advice from him I would just do it! The marks on the pistons are as he says just from when it was made so no real problem there but the coke (carbon) on the piston top looks a bit heavy so you might look at getting a new piston and rings as a part of the project plus measure the head/bore to see if it might need a re-bore and then you will have to replace all of that anyway. Nice work there mate should keep you busy for a while. :jossun:

• Like 1

Loved the photos Fakhir, your getting on really well, most of the stuff you call FUNGUS is just the aluminium reacting to moisture and neglect, just clean it with soap and water and then brush it off with a wire brush, make sure you don't breath this crap in as it is nasty stuff and your lungs will not thank you for it, most of the GREEN GUNK is just old oil that has separated during the years so again just wash it off and make sure you get right inside the part to remove it the BROWN GUNK is a bit more worrying as it is a mixture of oil and rust from inside the engine/pump that probably means that the seals are gone and any metal washers are also knackered just take it apart and replace anything that looks suspect. Airhead is the man when it comes to 2 strokes so if you have any advice from him I would just do it! The marks on the pistons are as he says just from when it was made so no real problem there but the coke (carbon) on the piston top looks a bit heavy so you might look at getting a new piston and rings as a part of the project plus measure the head/bore to see if it might need a re-bore and then you will have to replace all of that anyway. Nice work there mate should keep you busy for a while. :jossun:

How can I clean the components to make them like brand new? Petrol/Gasoline for cleaning appears to be extremely dangerous. Is there any equivalent that makes the parts spotlessly shiny but isn't flammable?