Model I.D help ...is this a classic?

North42g
This post is 4164 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I own what I think is a 1980 or 1981 SR-250.

The numbers on the frame are:

MFR DATE: 8/80

I.D. #: JYA3Y600 3 BA 113183

A Little background; I am a ASE Automotive Technician by Trade. However, that doesn't mean I know anything about motorcycles.

As a mechanic I frequently decode Vehicle identification Numbers to determine correct parts as well as service and maintenance procedures. I would imagine that there is some kind of decoding method for motorcycles. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I am hoping to know for sure what it is I have, and possibly what it may be worth.

I also have some questions about carburetor adjustment and chain lubrication. And if there is any other maintenance things I should be looking at.

This bike has been sitting well covered under plastic tarp in my yard for 3 years or so. hasn't run or even been looked at in that long.

here is what I've done so far: drained and changed the engine oil and filter. cleaned the air filter. Removed carb, cleaned it out. ( I didn't touch any carb settings)

Changed a 20 amp fuse under the seat. washed waxed blah blah blah... maybe some one can talk to me about this? Tahnks!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online