Sprocket change

Andrewh1
This post is 4170 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey there fellow Yammers. Quicky for you which will probably make me sound a bit daft (I am). I want to change the chain and sprockets on my Thundercat and fancied going down a tooth at the front for obvioius reasons. Thing is, I dont know how many teeth there are to start. Plus when you buy a bike specific kit it would come with the standard sprockets. Any suggestions? Thanks folks, Andy

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aye andre" the big advantage of buying the kit is" the sprockets will be the same pitch as chain,, sellers will sell single fronts,

then you find they"re a diffferent pitch, i v even seen sprockets listed on ebay for the model , and sending wrong spline size,,

your going down 1 tooth " that = wheelies and poor fuel consumption,, :eusa_think:

Certain the standard sprockets for the Thndercat are 15 Tooth Front and 47 Tooth Rear but you may want to remove the front sprocket cover to confirm. A lot of aftermarket suppliers will give you the option of going up or down from standard on the front sprocket.

Simples

Remove the sprocket cover and count the number of teeth. Mark the 1st one so you dont count twice

Parts suppliers like Wemoto will sell individual sprockets with more and less teeth for front and rear. Bear in mind that you may have to shorten/lengthen the chain to suit

If you want more acceleration its always better to increase the rear sprocket size, fitting a smaller front sprocket increases the loading on the chain.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online