Real progress?

Big Ross
This post is 6918 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'd like some feedback here. The newest bike I've ever ridden was my 1993 FJ1200. The oldest bike I've ever seriously ridden was a 1938 AJS. I spent years on a model 18-and showed some much more powerful bikes the way around!!! Had a Z1 Kwakka for a while. Ducati 750. Gold Wing. Lots of bikes. Even a James 197cc two stroke!

I've just been looking at the comments on the new R1. My question is this: If I got on one of them, how much difference would I actually feel (as compared to say my current XJ900)? Would I be blown away by the performance? Handling? What?

I was impressed by the FJ1200 but didn't feel it was a whole world ahead of my older bikes. I'm not stirring here. I'm an old guy, lots of money, just wondering how it would be if I bought something up-to-date.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i would take a guess at it would feel very strange. the handeling on the new r1 sp is supposed to be emence dut to the full ohilns suspension set up. however it is aimed at more of the track. the standard r1is also very good its the same a little bit lighter and without ohilns suspension and £5 grand cheaper!! :P

• Admin

Well however im sure you would get used to it after a few track days. But there would be no comparison performance wise, it would be like jumping from a ford mondeo to a 911 turbo B)

3rd gear and open throttle and your see the

front go sky-ward and you wont get a fj1200

but the handle would be out of this word and

the ride position would take a bit getting used

to on a long trip...........

Interesting comments. Sheeny, the riding position on many "sports" bikes simply makes it impossible for me to ride them further than the end of the driveway (and it's a very short driveway!).

Alex, you make the comparison "like going from a Mondeo to a Porsche" but the published performance figures don't support this sort of thing. They suggest that it would be like going from a Porsche to a newer Porsche.

Since all track bikes are greatly modified from standard, it's very difficult to get a really objective answer here. I'll repeat my question in a different form: Are today's bikes really different to those of say, ten years ago in performance and handling?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online