FJ600 All Balls Replacement

Jokidd82
This post is 4183 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So i've been thinking of this a lot lately. Its been a while since i've had the old ball bearing races taken off the steering stem. Well with the all balls tapered bearings the bottom of the stem has a small space of maybe two quarters. I want to say thats just where the original seal was.

My problem is that the upper set is taller than the original only allowing a few threads to grab on the nut.

Is this going to be something i need to be concerned about? I don't see it loosening up and i do know that some people say its normal for the upper set to be taller but i feel like the nut should at least be level with the threads at the top.

I can get it machined but i'm not sure that i should.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well I did some google searching and found a lot of fj600 steering stems with the same gap. Nothing special there, but I can't seem to find any of the top. I almost want to say that the steering head needs milled out or something to allow the extra space for the preload nut..or whatever its called, to thread on more. I'm going to take it off when I get home and check it out more because I believe something needs to be done.

For those of you who haven't used all balls they are pretty awesome. The tapered design allows a strong one piece design with the upper and lower sets. Plus there is no chance of "ball float" as I call it. Picture turning the forks and say 2 out of the 20 balls doesn't roll and merely smears over the grease instead of rolling. The all balls is a tapered kit much like the wheel bearing of a pickup truck.

Stronger axial force can be applied without any deflection of the steering head. Anyway enough mythbusters science here. I'll check it out later and post.

I'm not sure I understand what all balls is, and I cant picture the set up in my mind, but my view is that you need to have at least a full nut on the thread

2 quarters? What are they? A half?

I think all balls is just the brand

0000-All-Balls-Steering-Stem-Bearing-Kit

If the bearing are not a direct fit they are the wrong ones for the job, I have never come across a set of Taper Rollers that are thinner than Cup bearings which is why there is no thread left at the top. Some people just fit the bottom one and a standard at the top however there still would be less threads to use. They also effect the steering trail which increases and a twitchy/nervous is not nice.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online