rear wheel

kearnsy123
This post is 4182 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just noticed yesterday i had my bike up on the stand and running in netural and the rear wheel was turning slowly is dis normal ??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Some do some don't, might even be the type of oil your using or the temperature, mine spins slowly when it's cold but stops as the oil warms up, but if the revs are just below 1000 then it don't spin? :jossun:

• Like 1

Yeah it's normal. Mine does it too when up on the centre stand.

I think it's something to do with the oil viscosity making things turn. I believe that as the engine warms and the oil gets thinner this happens less.

Well that's my incredibly non-technical explanation! Sure someone else on here will correct me / explain better. Ha ha!

• Like 1

Yeah it's normal. Mine does it too when up on the centre stand.

I think it's something to do with the oil viscosity making things turn. I believe that as the engine warms and the oil gets thinner this happens less.

Well that's my incredibly non-technical explanation! Sure someone else on here will correct me / explain better. Ha ha!

That pretty much covers it - there's enough drag from the oil in the clutch to pull the driven side round when it's cold. As the oil warms up and gets thinner this drag reduces and so the wheel stops turning.

Richard Feynman time: take 2 discs of card on a couple of toothpicks and pop them into a bowl of treacle/golden syrup so they're facing each other but not touching. Turn one of the discs and the other should start moving as the syrup pulls on it. Now pop the syrup in the microwave until it's runny and do the same experiment - less or no turning.

• Like 1

Thanks for replies happy motoring !!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online