How does your YBR start?

Benedictine
This post is 4182 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

HI, my brother's got a Yamaha YBR year 2008 and it takes a good 5 minutes to warm up every time, even if it's been running and then we stop for 10 minutes. I've told him it might be the battery. If you've got one of these bikes (or have any ideas) how does yours start up? I mean my 20 year old SR 125 starts up first time, every time on the button, you would have thought a 2008 YBR would do the same this is why I think it is the battery myself.

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What do you mean 5 mins " can"t he ride off untill 5 mins ? or it needs choke for 5 mins,,,

It needs the choke for about 5 minutes every time he uses it. Even if we stop for 10 minutes the next time he gets on it it takes 5 minutes with the choke again. Mine on the other hand, you push the button and it's running. No he can't ride off because the engine is too weak and will cut out without the choke.

My 2006 XT has the exact same engine, I always warm the engine every time I use it, otherwise it would cut out as soon as stopped at lights etc. But once the engine is warm it shouldn't need the choke again.

Thanks. Yes that's what I thought, if the engine is warm as it was only used 10/15 minutes ago it shouldn't need a good 5 minutes of the choke I would have thought, even from my limited experience. I wonder if it is a battery issue. I told him to get a charger and bump it up to see if it makes a difference. I just wondered if this was a wider issue with YBRs or not that's why I asked here.

Your brother needs to clean his carb,either remove and clean fully reset it or it will stay running like crap.

My 2006 XT has the exact same engine, I always warm the engine every time I use it, otherwise it would cut out as soon as stopped at lights etc. But once the engine is warm it shouldn't need the choke again.

Grouch I'm going to go with your next bike "grouch" starts running worse,cause you haven"t pulled your carb and fully cleaned it.

guessing you have no modifications performance wise

sound like you got one of two problems

1) some badly fouled spark plug

and this will be caused buy dirty injector and/or incorrect fueling

which means the sparkplug needs to work a damn sight harder

it could be as simple as running redex through ya system or some slight adjust ment

or your injectors and sensors could need a damn good clean with carb cleaner or replaceing

2) Low compression if it needs to be that warm to work

this could be down to worn piston rings or something similar

first things first check ya plug for corrosion or colour change

this will give you a general conclusion google should give you a rough chart or picture guide of this

if it is blacker than the ace of spades your probably looking at new piston rings

meaning your getting oil pasing the piston

if its light and corroded not enough fuel or air leak (burning to hot)

Grab a Haynes manual for it yeah its 18.99 at Halfords but the money they can save in the long run is worth it

xt (all years) and ybr (2005 - 2007) were run by 28mm mikuni single slide carb

where as YBR 2007 onwards were injected

grouch I no ya pain at the lights its a piss take never seems to happen as much any more

with a new less restrictive end can and air filter (+jetting) it starts easyer and idle's easyer and sounds better :D

Thanks for the info, I will pass that on. He put a new spark plug in as when he bought it it would virtually not start at all, so it's not that. He bought a Haynes manual so I will tell him to clean the carb and check injectors, sensors and piston rings. Thanks.

Did he put the right plug in ??? Also my friends 2006 ybr ran the same until he replaced the battery

What's EFI?

Electronic fuel injection?

check the injectors before you start riping ya engine apart

is a must could end up real complicated and expensive

EFI < could not think of the real term cheers sacha

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online