useing the clutch .

kearnsy123
This post is 4182 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This mite sound like a silly question but when driving my bike everytime i change gear the bike jolts . Or jerks i can never seem to get a sooth gear change . Now ots not the bike as it always happens on other bikes to . Now am i releaseing it two fast or two slow and will it cause any damage to the bike . I just two ised to motorcrossing bad habbits etc .any advice would b great thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I never use the clutch going up the box, only to draw away ,,, smooth clean shifts,,,, Moto xer"s never use the clutch,,,

I'm really not an expert in this area, but from my own experience when i jumped on a bike for the first time:

- it could happen if you're releasing the clutch really fast

- jumping on the throttle hard when you're still releasing the clutch

I hate shoddy gear changes in cars, so once I picked up my bike I spent some time really practising and getting to know the bike so my changes were smooth.

If you think it's down to technique, I'd suggest some conscious practising - experimenting with how far you pull in the clutch and when you get back on the throttle etc. sure you'll soon find a happy medium for you and your bike.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like your dropping the clutch, the best way to think of it is if your and off roader then you need power as quick as you can, so you can keep pulling thru rough ground, whereas on the road you need smooth progression ie let the clutch out quickly but NOT a snap drop of the lever, sort of feed it out slowly but with control, only practice will get it better I'm afraid. :jossun:

I never use the clutch going up the box, only to draw away ,,, smooth clean shifts,,,, Moto xer"s never use the clutch,,,

As a car driver for 19 years (on and off bikes) I have only ever not used the clutch when mine went in an old Volvo 480. Can it not cause damage to the box by not using the clutch going up the gears? If it doesn't, excellent stuff - one less thing to have to worry about. What about coming back down?

Can it not cause damage to the box by not using the clutch going up the gears? If it doesn't, excellent stuff - one less thing to have to worry about. What about coming back down?

Yes it can if you do it wrong. Its still all about timing and feel. You need to lift off the throttle just enough to unload the gearbox then slight pressure on the lever will trigger a rapid upshift. Stay on the power though and you risk bending the selector forks or chipping teeth.

Dont bother on the down change. You have to be super smooth and traveling slower than you might think for it to work smoothly.

As a car driver for 19 years (on and off bikes) I have only ever not used the clutch when mine went in an old Volvo 480. Can it not cause damage to the box by not using the clutch going up the gears? If it doesn't, excellent stuff - one less thing to have to worry about. What about coming back down?

Bikes have wet clutches and synchro-meshes and 'stuff'. Cars do not... AFAIK.

Upshifting is easy and does not damage the clutch, which is why many racers use it. There's a downshift one as well, but I've not really tried it.

Clutchless upshift

Begin by having just shifted up into a high gear, especially when practicing.

Ride along, letting the revs build normally.

Meanwhile, apply upward pressure to the shift lever.

Very rapidly shut the throttle and reopen it about halfway to where you were.

As you close the throttle, your upward pressure will shift the gear and coming back onto the throttle a bit will maintain power without jolting you or racing the engine. Very useful for tight moments in corners!!

Other way round Ttask. Cars have syncros. Basically a method of matching the speed of the gears during a change to make it smooth.

Bikes have sequential gearboxes. Changing from 6th to 2nd has to be done by passing the other gears.

This is due to the gears shifting in the gearbox. The gears never mesh more than once at any time. As a result the taper on the teeth allows the next gear to connect cleanly. But only if done off throttle.

Cynic's right it's all about FEEL and knowing the bike, being gentle is the only way, you can whack it up and down the box but you better have a good idea of how to rebuild your gearbox in a short time cos it WILL come round and bite you on the arse if you abuse it. :shakeno:

I said they have 'stuff'... that kinda covers me for all eventualities :)

I mainly know how to ride them. I have a man who fixes my rides when I can't be bothered... in exchange for beer, usually!

Thanks for all that. Think I'll master simple stuff first before trying that on a 19 yr old bike! Can't afford mechanics bills and haven't got that much free time! The little free time I have got I'd rather spend riding than rebuilding a gear box!

Thanks for the advise il just keep at it

Where can I get one of these men :P?

I get mine from Reading... of failing that, any garage where they will let you watch/talk you through so you can learn. Talk shop, make friends and go from there.

This one is my wife's ex, actually. Amazing bloke, fantastic mechanic!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online