RS200-The Novice Restoration

Ollie1995
This post is 4089 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I've already put this on BCF but thought it would be more interesting to you guys.

I got this yesterday after an impulse bid secured me what I thought would be a big regret but after a bit of TLC it's come up pretty good and I don't regret it at all. It's only had 1 previous owner from the Isle of White and has been cared for pretty well by the looks of it. Everything is original and my aim is to keep it this way, keep the majority of the paint original and get it MOT'd in the near future.

I bought it knowing it doesn't run but after having a quick look over it I think it's likely to be just a battery replacement job. I took the points and air filter covers off and they look spotless (probably not been opened since 1983), so I know it's not been messed about with.

It came with a cool aftermarket topbox and still has the tax disc from when it was last on the road in '98.

IMGP0597_zps66dc5fbf.jpg

We didn't realise it would be as small as it was so where pleasantly surprised when it went in the back.

IMGP0598_zpscf82b984.jpg

IMGP0599_zps6286360a.jpg

IMGP0600_zps7e4673df.jpg

IMGP0601_zps2fef0f7f.jpg

IMGP0602_zpse99f54cb.jpg

IMGP0603_zps67a432a4.jpg

Now the clean up:

IMGP0605_zpsf75f5588.jpg

I think it was covered in something similar to ACF 50 as the wheels have come up great and the exhausts aren't to bad either.

IMGP0606_zps186ad815.jpg

IMGP0607_zps398dd630.jpg

IMGP0608_zpsfd614589.jpg

After a wash and wax

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ive just bought one of these too! Same colour. Unless you have the tight leather trousers and studs to match those awful bars, id be putting the flat bars on it!

Hehe tassle too! I despise these bars too but thought they where originals. Also have you got any pictures of yours? They seem to be rocking horse shite for spares

Er mine looks like yours but less dusty. The bars were an option thing. Parts book states cables for standard bars and "up bars"

So I.dont feel bad about swapping them.

Yeh youre right. Its mini!

I couldn't either haha, It's a lot smaller than it seems! My plans are to keep her as original as possible, just clean up, get running and get it through an MOT. I'm currently spending a fair bit of time on my DT125LC so time is the issue. I've got the 30 year old battery on charge to see if it can be salvaged and keep the costs down, but I think a new one is in order.

Ollie.

I like that bike Ollie.

Best of luck with her.

• Like 1

Heh i keep looking at 200 motors and my dt and wonder what if.......?

Maybe.........

Yamaha blaster engine cynic. Similar bottom end to a dt.

Rs 200 engine is wide and heavy in comparison. Electric start doesnt help.

Yamaha blaster engine cynic. Similar bottom end to a dt.

Blaster? Nah its a long held silly idea. Everybody knows the aircooled rd's came before the lc's. Well i fancy screwing with peoples heads a little.

How many people would be stumped by a 200 motor. In a dt frame. 2 exp chambers mounted up and over each side.

"Wow an early aircooled tdr". Lol

Hah i know its daft but i may just do it one day....

It would certainly keep my Uncle happy if you did it. He was telling me to do the exact same with one of my DT frames the other day

• 2 months later...

Blaster? Nah its a long held silly idea. Everybody knows the aircooled rd's came before the lc's. Well i fancy screwing with peoples heads a little.

How many people would be stumped by a 200 motor. In a dt frame. 2 exp chambers mounted up and over each side.

"Wow an early aircooled tdr". Lol

Hah i know its daft but i may just do it one day....

:)

YamahaDTRDhybrid_zps6fb5cbf5.jpg

Scratches head, thinks, hmmmm, ive got the bits to do this..... NO EDWARD TOO MANY PROJECTS ALREADY!!!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online