tdr 125 deristricting problems

bobalicious
This post is 4189 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

well lads i have a tdr 125 and im having some trouble derestricting it. i bought the bike the other day for a bit of craic, as i had a 05 dt 125 a couple of years ago and which was a great bike and appearantly these are the same engine with a different gearbox.

i know there are plenty of forums on the internet about derestricting these but none of them hav really been any use to me so im hoping for a bit more luck posting here

below is what iv done so far and if anyone has anymore knowledge of these bikes any help will be greatly appreciated!

iv swapped the airbox for a conical filter, i dont really think this has made any difference to the power it jus makes the little two stroke sound a bit better.

iv the restrictor out of the neck of the exhaust, i took the cat out of my dt before thinkin it was a good idea but at high revs it felt lke there wasnt enough back pressure and i was just loosing power, so cats still in the tdr for now anyway.

reed switch is out and held away from the speedo but the bike still wont go past 65-70, so swicth will be removed altogether tomoro if i hav time.

with a 17 tooth front sprocket the bike does in around the 65mph mark, i changed this for a 13 tooth sprocket which should hav reduced top end but the bike still pulls 60 65 all day long so clearly there is plenty of room for more speed with the 17 tooth sprocket and the bike is still restricted someway.

when rebuilding my old dt i pointed the ports at the bottom of the barrel removing the blunt square edge allowing a better flow up around and into the barrel and this definately improved performance, this will be done to the tdr later as there is 19000 miles on it and i will hav the barrel off soon for a top end rebuild anyway.

iv come accross people saying in a few forums to ground a wire coming from the cdi but im a bit unsure of messing around with the cdi, just dosnt sound like a good idea to me but i could be wrong. people are also on about different jets but i dont really know enough about them to know what size id want.

i had an xt 125 4 stroke when i was 16 and that would do 60-65 all day so surely there is plenty of potential in the two stroke??

anyway thanks for reading and any help you can give me.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online