Petrol leak when switch to reserve

AndrewElvisFan
This post is 4192 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Wonder if anyone might be able to help. This morning I switched my Sr125 to the reserve, it was very tight and wanted to know for sure it worked before I ran out. Got it moved round and then put it back. Went back out to the bike half hour later and found it had leaked. There is a fuel pipe on the opposite side which doesn't appear to go to anything, this is where it has leaked from. Could this be a bleeder pipe or overflow? Or could this point at a good reason not to use the reserve? The patch of petrol is only about 6 or 7" and doesn't appear to be leaking now its not turned to reserve.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Any photos? the spare pipe could be a vacuum pipe.

I've taken a pic - not sure hot upload it though! I'll get my 8 yr old to help!!

Photo bucket is being an ass! I've changed my profile pic to the offending pipe - the end you can't see is covered in road dust! Def no petrol coming through now.

Haven't switched with the engine running - I'll do that now the petrol has dried and see what happens.

Ok so fuel switch doesn't appear to work - just ran for 5 minutes in closed position! Best I not run out to far from a station then!!

That pipe is a breather, too high up for overflow pipe, sounds like your float musta stuck, and pissed fuel thru an overflow,

if this persists, take off carb and clean, that petcock sounds iffy, to test it " pull the full delivery pipe, and then switch it in between positions, see what happening,, :eusa_think:

Thanks for that guys. Coming from carb somewhere. Had small amount of fuel around it this morning, not enough to drip down. Took it for a run (any excuse!) and hasn't leaked. Only out for an hour but had 3 SMIDSY'S! When it stops snowing I'll remove the pipe before stripping the carb down. Been a good few years since stripping a carb so if I can get away without, I will!

My little bike was running well, but would piss fuel out the carb overflow every time I turned her off. Had hoped to get by with tapping the float bowl, but no such luck. I think I've got it sorted now after a thorough carb clean. Took her out for a run and no leaks. :yeah:

Is there any reason why I shouldn't leave the fuel line on? Not over keen on stripping it down!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online