79 to 81 monoshock (175)

jbhome
This post is 4186 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

well, I finally got it running well but now the rear shock is too soft. I'm 175Lb and it's way too easy to bottom.

anyone have any suggestions on rebuild replace?

thanks,

Jim

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Odd. Same weight as me.

Maybe the spring has gone soft. When does it bottom out.

Odd. Same weight as me.

Maybe the spring has gone soft. When does it bottom out.

yeah, never thought about that, quite a fair bit lighter than me and mine hasnt any issues even with camping gear piled high at the back.

I wonder if you have lost your pressurisation (Nitrogen) Jim ?

I have a rare yamaha release note that was issued to dealers when monoshocks were brought in in '78.

It states that you can.get a softer spring, and a stiffer spring. From memory I.think the stiffer spring is shared with the RD 400.

I am in the.process of moving so will clarify when I can.

On a standard spring without a jackup kit it's not uncommon for my lardy arse to introduce the wheel to the back mudguard. I am pushing 15 stone mind...

ok i lied

Sorry

I must have had RD's on the brain. Which is daft because the rd400 was a twin shock.

There was an optional spring for the dt175mx, and if this wasnt stiff enough the next one up was a standard spring from a DT250/400

I will post some pics of my source when Ive moved,

Ed