xv125 choke and indicators.

LukeWard
This post is 4190 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, sorry if this is the wrong place for this, I'm new! :') I was recently given a '98 135 Virago. My father delivered it for a rich kid and he said 'Nope, don't want it, the electrics are knackered' so the kids father ended up giving it to my father. And still paid him for delivery. AND made him a cuppa! Well, turns out, all that was wrong was the fuse had blown. So we changed that and it worked fine.

Now, for the questions! Please bear in mind I know very little about bikes, so sorry in advance for my helpfulness! :') But I digress..

The problem is the choke. If I move the lever, the wire doesn't move through the black plastic casing, it just sort of bends. And if I pull it back (towards the left) it doesn't move at all. The bike was idle for a while and my father thinks the choke is just stuck, but I don't want to force anything in case I break something. can anyone tell me what's going on? I can upload pictures tomorrow if that helps, too :)

EDIT: Forget about the indicators, I found what I was looking for!

Thanks in advance guys!

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

firstly its not the best of form to join up and ask questions straight away with out posting an intro in the new members bit, you know basics about yourself, name, where you are, how old, what experience with bikes and mechanics, stuff like that....

but heres goes

can you get your hand on the carb end of the choke?

if so try moving the slider by hand. it may just be stuck because its been stood.

get hold of it and pull it, spray some wd or similar on it try and move it, clean it spray it ect ect.... it should work free, failing that it could be stuck inside the carb body and need stripping down and cleaning internally.

if its not stuck and moves freely then the cable is at fault. may be the wrong one, stretched beyond its limits. incorrectly set, snapped, damaged or routed incorrectly.

you may need to take the tank off to allow good access to the carb and to look at the routing of the cable

Whoops.. sorry man, I never think of this stuff!

also, getting to Tue other end is tricky, its right under the tank.. I mean, its accessible, just about but not ideal, ill give it a go in the morning, thanks :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online