86 fz600 throttle cable to short?

philfz600
This post is 4195 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

so last time i posted here you all gave GREAT help!! so i have returned one more time.

my 86 fz600 was purchased at the start of winter and the p.o. had the throttle cable zip tied to allow it to fit. so upon purchasing it i am no at the point of tackling this little problem. went online and purchased http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-33M-26311-09-00.html but the throttle cable will not fit around the carbs loop and into the slot. i have the slack screw on the cable all the way in to allow full slack, and am begining to believe the p.o. may have somehow moved the location of where the cable goes into the butterfly valve (opener) lower so the cable now appears to short? is this possible? suggestions on fixing this little issue.
http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/bamfcow/media/carbs_zps9c5d7bce.png.html#/user/bamfcow/media/carbs_zps9c5d7bce.png.html?&_suid=136440841086906573787694421178

cant seem to post pics sorry :*(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry I'm no help with the cable issue... but pictures would probably help. Check out this thread for help posting pics...

Install it in the butterfly section first then into the cable stay,if it's still to short to allow the bf to close then you got the wrong cable.

starting to look this way myself... im checking sites like ebay to compare to and all look the same. but these sites all say the cable will fit. perhaps i need to find a way to make a custom cable? im going to do some cross checking against other sites like cheep cycle parts and see if any of the part numbers are dif.

http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=6010&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=1986&fveh=160 #7, same mfg # as whats on my invoice.

Install the cable and post a picture

It's 100% possible the cable was packaged wrong,or they made the outer too long. Do you have the old 1 to compare inner and outer the lengths to eachother?

Thanks for help all, no i do not. I have the cable the p.o had on but its same size and he made work with zip ties lol. As far as pic goes i beliee it shows you in my first pic the situation. I cant physically install it to the carbs and slide it in holder. If i bend holder down a lil i can but it keeps the butterfly 100% opened. Aka full throttle. Im bout to return this one and head to a yam dealer n order from them. At least it will be easier toreturn P.s cable is stamped with the mfg # if u look close in pic i think u can see.

My guess is that he has replaced the carbs from a different model and didn't change the cable retainer,hence the reason why both are too short.

If I'm right about the carb swap and the cable is long enough to fit from carbs to throttle,then you might have to shorten the outer cable housing,or try and get the right cabel retainer.The carbs look wrong for a fz they should be black,but that may have been cleaned off at some time.

If you carfully remove the end cap and un wind the outer steel housing it can be cut to lenght and slide the cap back into place without making the whole thing from scratch.

Just did exacty that. Went into bike shop and thats what they suggested. Looks pretty good. Planning to throw some heat shrink or aomething over where the wire andcap meet. But seema to fit perfecty now. Had to unwind a good 2 or 3 inches tho.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online