1997 Yamaha CY50J (JOG) problems

pculp2
This post is 4204 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First of all I would like to say greetings from canada. I never knew there was a yamaha owners site. This is kinda cool.

Anyway My CY50J is giving me grief and I don't know what to do. It will ride fine and then I will hit a hill and she literally will power down to nothing. When I back off the throttle more then half way and back up again a couple times it will be able to pull me up the hill but only if I don't use full throttle. Once it happens it will continue to do the same thing even on even road once it has happened from climbing.

The bike starts fantastic!! First try every time. Bike has 2300 Km's on it. I got it last year and it had 169km original on it. SHe was pretty much brand new. I am careful to use the right oil and the more expensive fuel when able. I found out it also had the wrong spark plug. So I changed it and it seemed to run better with the new one but still causes the issue and actually the issue is worse now.

I noticed the carb has some cracked rubber mounting so I will be replacing that but I find it hard to believe that will be the cause. The air filter has been getting fuel in it.

I am limited financially and local shops won't touch it. I have to do it myself and tho I have restored bikes before I am not familiar with 50cc engines and thus and inexperienced and uncomfortable attempting anything with out help to guide me.

The following ideas were giving to me by a mechanic not to close to me who understood my frustration and inability to get it to an experienced mechanic who is willing to work on it.

Possible clogged exhaust pipe.

Carburation issues

Scoring on the cylinder

glogged screening in the fuel filter or leaks in the gas cap

transmission spring

Clutch

Those are the issue I was given and I need to limit this list. Any ideas on what this issue is most likely to be?

I have had the bike since last fall. It was cleaned out by a mechanic prior to my getting it.

Phil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi phill" B) it sounds like fuel starvation , start with cleaning the fuel petcock, [ filtre, somtimes inside tank] , pull the pipe and see if it flow good, it must be getting some but not enuff, after that its carb settup , :rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online