Need help installing Xj600 51J engine into FJ600 frame

Silverspur
This post is 4210 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I'm new on here and I hope someone can help me. I've just installed a 51J Xj600 engine into an FJ600 frame, without mechanical difficulty. However, I've hit a couple of snags with the electrical system:

a) The regulator/rectifier on the FJ frame is the finned, six wire type. The wiring from the XJ600 engine has only four cables, so I assume is the later 47X (I've learnt from posts on here!) regulator/rectifier. Can I marry the two? If so, what do I do with the spare brown and green leads in the FJ harness?

b] The XJ engine has a two-pin plug carrying white-red-stripe and white-blue-stripe cables which would (from the wiring diagrsam) appear to come from the coil. The FJ frame has a three-pin connector on the ingnitor attached to the battery case with orange, grey and black cables. Am I right to connect the white-red-stripe cable, and the white-blue-stripe cables from the engine to the orange and grey terminals respectively on the igniter connector (and the black to earth?).

If anyone can help me with this, I'd be very grateful. (Also if I ought to keep an eye open for other potential snags with this transplant...)

Many thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The simpest way i can see to fix this is to swap the elecs from the old motor to the new. Thats what I did when I put a fj motor in a fz many moons ago. 6th gear is taller so you will save a bit on fuel crusing the highway.

So put the eng elecs in the new motor,not positive if it will fit but 1 way to find out is try.When I did mine it was from 86fz foxeye to 85 fj basicly the same motor just different transmission and cdi curve.

If the stator will bolt into place(most likely it will) than thats solved provided the rotor is the same size,and the pick up coil sits on a bracket so if it dosent fit make it fit.

Without both wirein diagrams I can't help any more than to suggest the above sorry.

Thanks dt. I've just hurt my brain for the last four hours with the two wiring diagrams and it would appear that my main problem is that the FJ wiring is for the earlier type of alternator with brushes but the XJ engine is the later type without. It would appear that the solution to the problem is to replace the six-wire regulator/rectifier with the later four-wire jobbie and Bob ought to be your father's brother.

The different pick-up coil wiring I may be able to solve by sucking and seeing, in that the third wire in the three-wire old model may well be just an earth, so I can easily remedy that. The two-wire new model appears to run the same through the harness on the JJ as the XJ, so I just have to get them the right way round (which isn't obvious); if they don't work one way, they should the other!

Fingers crossed!