Adjusting R1 headlights correctly

TheSaffer
This post is 4056 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So after the incident where a driver reversed into me last year, I finally had my bike repaired. New fairing bracket and headlamp units etc. Now the guy at the workshop ended up tightening up every screw on the head unit when he assembled it for me.

I only noticed something was wrong when I rode back home at night and I was lighting up every road sign on the A12 like a Boeing 747 coming in for a landing.

I know where and how to adjust the headlight units, but I would like to know if anyone knows the specification of the actual beam projected? I know that if your headlamps are under 85cm you only need to drop the beam edge by 2-5cm at about 12 foot away.

What about the horizontal projection? How many degrees right and left should they project? I'm due a MOT end of March and I don't want to fail because of something preventable like this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you know of any tips and tricks to get the beams adjusted more easily, please let me know.

PS: I now know it takes about 15 mins for a 2004 R1 battery to drain if you don't keep the engine running while adjusting!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.