painting sump and exhaust guard

welshwan
This post is 4203 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A little update .....the sump guard is painted and on the bike. In my opinion it's a pretty good job, only things i was not 100% happy with is that firstly you can still see some of the dents and lumps (but in all honesty still looks tons better then it did before) and the second thing is the texture on the inside of the guard...but this is just the texture of the metal...i could have kept grinding away until it was smooth as fuck but didn't want to keep thinning the metal....after all its there to protect the bike first and foremost.

All in all extremely happy....let me know what you think?

sumpguardonseat.jpg

sumpguard3paint.jpg

pictures make it look abit scruffy but i can assure you it was perfect finish . no bubbles or sections of thinner/thicker paint.

NIce a really good job, you should be proud of yourself with that. :jossun:

Just popped out to get a couple of pictures of it on the bike, wasn't planning on doing so- hence it being a little dirty:

sumppaintunder.jpg

sumpnightsmaller.jpg

OHHH! also check out the kick stand ^ gave that a couple of coats too ^ (used some heavy duty metal paint)

Thank you both very much!!! :) Means alot - chuffed to bits

As you can see from the pictures there are still plenty of bits that need to be painted, also found out the other day the the rear subframe is bent (pretty badly) So will hopefully be buying a second hand one over the next few days and painting that (as most on ebay are abit rusty)

Not started painting the exhaust guard yet- as i need a couple of things before i get cracking on that- but will update this thread when it's done :)

Nice job, looks a lot better. My bash plate was in a sorry state, similar to yours. But I just bought a new one off eBay lol. My exhaust guard is a bit tatty but I'm going to spray it, if it comes off! I think the bolts are threaded.

make sure you spray plenty of oil (i have been using wd-40 as my mam was kind enough to give me a tin of it). otherwise you might well end up rounding it and then having to drill it out. I know this because i have had to drill 3 bolts out my self and my uncle and cousin had to drill out EVERY single screw holding on the front disk on the original wheels. (we did try everything on the disk mind you heat, oil, brute force....maybe a hammer came out once or twice also? lol

So yeah for the 2 seconds it will take to spray and the 30 seconds of waiting for the oil to penetrate the thread is definitely worth it, especially compared to the 20 mins or so trying to drill it out.

In all honestly i did have a look online for a plate but the only decent one i could find was like £40...and that still wasn't perfect....so i took the £7 or £8 paint option :)...on and £2 for a wirebrush drill bit. And boy oh boy do you feel good for dong it yourself.

Be sure to let us know how it turns out man!

My bash plate was £20 second hand but off a brand new xt broken for spares. I think I will blather the bolts in WD and leave over night to really penetrate it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online