Hi, got an XJ750E-II 29R

This post is 3972 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, anyone else got one or know about them? Nobody seems to have heard of them, so far only found one other owner (but in NZ) and another person here in the UK who bought what they thought was one only to find it was a 750 motor in a 31A 900 frame...

Hoping somebody at least knows of them, how many were made, stuff like that.

Please let me know, Thanks, Dan.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That's my bike, I won the auction! so yes, the same... :) it was advertised as an E but is an E-II as confirmed by the 29R codes all over it (frame shows it was the 69th one made)

So, the question is, did you just search ebay & that came up or were you after it too? :P

Not bad for the price though huh? it's in pretty good shape really, few scratches and the infill panels that should go at the front of the tank are cracked, and the carbs are not original but I've had her running today & the motor's in good shape so I'm going to *TRY* to find some original carbs (Hitachi HSC33, code 29R00) or put the 750 jets from my spare set into the ones fitted, put some new tyres & brake lines on, new filters oil etc & put in for MoT for summer

I do admit to having my eye on it....the seller seemed to be fairly hard on it in his description cos it looks mint! It was too far away from me thank God as i'm having enough problems with what I have now.

I thought it was an import version of the xj900 pre diversion that my mate used to have but I had no idea they were mega rare!.

Good for you, she looks great! I too have an odd 750 Yam. It's a 750 import that looks like a UK spec 650 Turbo. You'll see pics on various posts i've made so far. Look in the workshop section under exhaust advice needed pleeeease

Great buy, great bike mate!

Davie.

the one that looks like a 650 turbo would be a D-II I think, model ID 38X, frame 5G8 sound similar? They're pretty rare I think too! Found a lot of info on the XJbikes.com forums, those yanks love their secas!

yeah he was quite hard on it, I'd describe the bodywork as very very good for the year actually! It was soaking wet in the pics too so that probably put bidders off thinking maybe the paint was flat as a fart or something?

I was a bit cheeky really, put my last bid in with about 3 seconds to go. Would have gone to 700 tbf as I'd managed a little reading on it before it ended, surprised that not many bid on it though really as there were about 200 watching!

The bike pictured looks the same as the first UK XJ900 with was an 853cc. They stopped making them as the handle bar fairing made them unstable so Yamaha made the next model with a fairing mounted on the frame which cured the wobble.

It should have YICS cast into the carb inlets and a special tool is needed just to balance them correctly.

Correct, 29R model is "basically" a 31A frame (though obviously stamped 29R) with modified 750 motor (bigger valves, lumpy cam, stroked 0.1mm to make 749cc, bigger carbs)

If that's right about the bikini then I'll look into getting the later fairing for it maybe, was thinking of adding the bellypan anyhow as it looks nice IMO.

I got a yics tool with the bike

I wouldn't worry about the fairing I think it was at high speed anyway. I think it look cool.

Preload, wasn't planning on throwing the original bodywork on something like this was just thinking if I find it iffy at all I may swap. You're right I like the look too, it grabbed my attention on ebay & when it was only 5 miles away well... you know the rest lol

Davie, your engine number is just 29R with no other numbers? & frame number is 29R0001xx as well? If so you may have same bike wow! What frame number you got? EII started at 29R000101 I've got 29R000169...

Will try find your pics

• 3 months later...

Yep i have one as well, Im down here in New Zealand and have an original black with red stripes. Im so pleased I found your message as Id been planning on chopping her up as a bobber, but not now, I'll use one of my other bikes instead and spend the money to restore this girl back to her former glory.

I'll post a pic in the next day or so.

Bugsy