Hi, new member, WR 125X, and a question on the bike..

This post is 4218 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

Nice to be here. I did my CBT last year in October then promptly failed my mod 1 on a 650cc by putting my foot down on the u-turn. Since then I sat out the worst of the weather :)

I just picked up a 2009 WR 125X on ebay, it's getting delivered on Wednesday :) So I'm going to spend a few months having a bit of fun, getting a load of slow riding practice before going for the DAS and getting a bigger bike. I went for a WR 125X as I thought it'd be a fun bike to hang onto longer term as a cheaper city runabout. Haven't yet decided on the type of bigger bike!

Anyway, I have a quick question. I know it'll suck to put a top case on a WR 125X, but I'm going to use it for commuting and I could use a place to keep the chain / padlock and leave my helmet in, so can anyone give me some guidance on top case options. I checked Yamaha website and it seems the offical top case + plate? were gonna be quite pricey.

I checked Givi and they don't list the WR 125X...

So basically anyone got any advice on where I can pick up a cheap top case for it? Other things on my mind:

1) Any recommendations on a good place to get the bike serviced in London?

2) Any places that do good beginner bike maintenance training?

3) I was thinking of getting an Oxford rain cover and Oxford Monster chain and padlock - decent choices?

Hoping to get a helmet cam and post some youtube of my horrible beginner riding so I can get some tips of people too !!

Alex

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

welcome B)

Only one i can say is for Q2 and the answer is that you don't need training unless you really don't know how a spanner works, as there is almost certainly enough information already on here to teach you how to maintain your bike and what isn't .....just make a post and i'm pretty sure you will get an answer....

......unless you start hurling abuse....like an other recent person did LOL. (not recommended)

Anyways. . . . enough of that.

Enjoy the site, and don't forget to have a good look through it using the search function at the top right of the screen ^ there's tons of info on here

actually one of the users 'beef' has just this evening posted a 'how to' for bleeding brakes and cleaning the master cylinder .

:welcome: aboard Alex! Sorry I've no help with where to get a top box. As Welshwan said, lots of great info here.

Hello Alex, welcome to the forum!

Very wise in getting a 125 to practice on before attempting your DAS again. I'm sure you'll have great fun on the WR!

I have an Oxford Monster XL chain - certainly a sturdy looking thing and it has both Thatcham and Sold Secure Gold ratings to it, which will go some way towards reducing your insurance (just as long as you do actually use it when you're out and about). I find the lock mechanism smooth, despite being out in all sorts of weather.

I also use a disc lock (Oxford Patriot) as another deterrent. Unlike the chain, I've had to squirt some WD-40 into the lock mechanism because it became tricky to use, but that's such a minor point.

Finally I also have an Oxford Aquatex cover as my bike gets parked on the road. Main reasons for buying a cover were to act as a further deterrent, but to also stop kids messing around with my controls etc. It's one of the cheapest covers Oxford sell. If you have a different set of priorities and want to keep the bike dry etc, then invest in a more expensive one as it lets rain through a little.

We're looking forward to seeing your videos once you're up and running!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online