how to change a master cylinder

beef
This post is 4078 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i thought that seeing as there has been a few 'how do i ....' type threads recently that i would do a thread on changing a break master cylinder.

firstly let me explain why i am changing the master cylinder.(M/C from now)

when i got the bike a few weeks ago the front brakes where a bit iffy. worked some tiems, worked really well others and then hardly at all.

so i was going to bleed the brakes and see if it sorted the issue but upon opening the M/C i saw there were some crusty floaters in the fluid, so a strip and clean was needed.

1 wrap the area around the M/C with a rag.

wrapcylinder_zps7ce12e20.jpg

2 remove the top and drain the fluid, i used a syringe. and dispose of fluid

drainfluid_zps655e1028.jpg

3 slacken the banjo bolt, green arrow, then loosen the clamp bolts, red arrows.

undobolts_zps1124a0a8.jpg

4 then completely remove the banjo bolt, taking note of the two washers, green and red arrows

removebanjo_zpsebe92a29.jpg

5 then undo clamp bolts and remove unit from bike, carefully. and empty out any remaining fluid into a container

thenremovethis_zps4db29934.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the replacement unit

newsetup_zps8d12d1af.jpg

clamp new unit to handle bars. not copperslip, anti seeze or what ever you want to call it.

copperslipbolts_zpsf0e773e2.jpg

fasten banjo bolt up, i got a new one with my ne unit. then make sure you hook up the spade connectors to the brake light switch.

spadeconnectorson_zpsea4b04d8.jpg

fill unit and bleed the brakes....

dont know how to do that?? then see the how to bleed brakes thread.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online