DT125R 1990 Bogs/Dies at 5000 rpm (full throttle)

James Jeremy
This post is 4229 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Evening all, I know there are loads of posts out there about the bogging/dieing issue but I think (?!!) mine is slightly different...

I run a website mapping byways in the south of UK and just purchased a DT125R to take mates out who are only on a CBT... The bike starts easily and has 11k on the clock (of course no telling if that is genuine) but when i took for a test ride it seemed rather tame. Anyhow.. purchased it and have only just got around to taking it out for a good ride tonight and its good (if not a little gutless) at low speed but what I don't get is as you accelerate you can pull the throttle all the way back until it hits around 5,000 rpm then it simply dies (feels/sounds like no spark or major flooding). If going down a steep hill the throttle can be held on for a long distance and nothing, no spluttering, etc. I then found that once this happens if you back off the throttle and blip it, or very slowly accelerate there is still this flat spot but it then suddenly kicks in and the powerband takes off until gear change then the same thing happens...

From everything that I have read this points to a fueling issue and will put a new plug in and check the operation/alignment of the powervalve servo but before I start trying to re-jet/raise the needle, etc I just wonder if any of you had any stella advice / ideas as if it was running slow throughout the revs, etc, it would make sense that it was set up but for it to literally die on full throttle is a bit baffling (and also the guy before couldn't have been riding it around like that? could he?)..

Any advice much appreciated...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online