Bike cuts out and won't start!!!

Grouch
This post is 4077 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

About a month ago I was riding around and my bike like spluttered and then cut out. It took me many attempts to restart it and I had to leave it to stand for ages. The problem seemed to of sort itself out after I used Redex.

Now today after work on my way home in the pissing down rain it did it again the same thing. I was riding it and as soon as I gave it some throttle it died down coughing and spluttering, lost power and cut out. Then it wouldn't start, I even tried bumping it, then after about 20 mins it kicked up again. Then it died as soon as I got to my house (Lucky).

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

I don't want to take it to a garage if I can help it.

Cheers Guys.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

have you checked the air box. make sure its clean and dry in there,

check for water getting to places where it shouldnt.

check your carb rubbers as well, make sure they are fine,

check that your inner rear guard is fitted and fitted correctly.

but if its doing it when wet its going to be hit and miss in finding it.

but remember to make it work it needs three main things...

spark air fuel.

and as i said in another thread i would be looking at the air box and filter, filter gets wet and bike can not breath so dies...

grouchbike_zps37684873.jpg

the yellow lines show how the rain will run down off you and onto the bike. and the green show some of the bikes body lines that will aid water flowing towards your air box area, that is asuming your airbox is the red circle.

Whipped the old seat off, everything is dry filter etc. WD-40'd the spark plug and no joy. I'm well pissed off. Had to get a bus today : ( booked her into the garage. She's getting picked up Tuesday.

its definately water related so how are the garage going to sort it??

wait for it to rain and go for a ride to see if it does it or are they just going to spend a few hours at £xx per hour and then say they couldnt find owt wrong???

I did today, it started then did the same thing. I checked the air filter, spark plug, and nooks and crannies and e early where is dry. The garage are coming Tuesday to pick it up.

Update! After a day of standing started my bike and it fired first time, seemed ok for a few miles then started being dodgy. I risked venturing out and filled her with fuel. She seems back to normal to an extent. It is still not right though. I'm taking it to a garage, I can't be arsed fucking about with it. I just want it sorted.

not sure what ignition set up it has, but what you describe sounds like classic CDi source coils breaking down. OK for a while, then not, worse when hot. Rain is just happens so much in this country it seems related :-)

not sure what ignition set up it has, but what you describe sounds like classic CDi source coils breaking down. OK for a while, then not, worse when hot. Rain is just happens so much in this country it seems related :-)

My dad said it could be the CDI.

The XT600 cdi box does this, but its more likely to be the generator. This is easily tested with a multimeter and hot air gun (with care as you can melt stuff with these).

Set the meter up reading the source coil resistance. At ambient (well as near to 20 degrees C as possible) it should be exactly as the book, as you warm it the resistance will climb steadily. Any fluctuating readings or sudden changes as the winding is warmed and thats proof its breaking down and needs rewinding. You can also squeeze the winding with your fingers, if there is a change in reading that too indicates bad insulation.

We can test early CDi units but we don't have much experience with these modern units - some need a 12 DC volt supply before the AC system will run.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online