Metal Shard In Engine Oil

Grouch
This post is 4238 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've just changed the oil in my 4T XT 125 and in the old oil there was a shard of metal in the bottom just like a coil, exactly the same as a corkscrew opener but a lot smaller. The bike has been running fine. Can some one please tell me what this is? I hope it is nothing serious.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Might be from the metal washer on the oil sump having been over-tighten causing the coil effect. Just my guess though..

Yes I think that is the cause, I did really over tighten it last time I changed the oil. Cheers.

Hate to say it mate but easily done. I asked a mechanic and he said they generally go hand tight with a spanner and don't bother with a torque wrench setting (20Nm on a YBR).

Grough you might want to see if the coil you have is hard or soft metal, if it's soft then NOT a washer. Best to check if anything sounds different with the bike, Are there any unusual sounds from the engine (like a low rumbling) that was not there before? Just a thought. Might also be something that has been in the engine for ages and only just worked it's was out. Migtht also be the thread from any of the dozens of bolts that are in the casing when it was first made, it's unusual to have a bolts strip out a thread unless someting has gone wrong and if it still runs and rides ok just keep a weather eye out for odd knocks and rumbles. :jossun:

I usually buy a new plug each time I change the oil but didn't this time and it has threaded. I got a bit carried away on tightening it last time.

Grough you might want to see if the coil you have is hard or soft metal, if it's soft then NOT a washer. Best to check if anything sounds different with the bike, Are there any unusual sounds from the engine (like a low rumbling) that was not there before? Just a thought. Might also be something that has been in the engine for ages and only just worked it's was out. Migtht also be the thread from any of the dozens of bolts that are in the casing when it was first made, it's unusual to have a bolts strip out a thread unless someting has gone wrong and if it still runs and rides ok just keep a weather eye out for odd knocks and rumbles. :jossun:

Thanks Slice, I have thought that it may have been there for a while, or it has just worked its way through the system after a long time. Also I have recently run my bike bone dry of petrol so this crossed my mind as well, if it was some crap that has got through the system. Sorry if this is impossible but I'M not a mechanic lol.

It's not impossible for crap to be in your engine from new, ask any engineer if the engines leave the factory clean and they will burst out laughing, when they mill the casings and cut the thread holes all that crud gets left in the engine and only gets washed out when they dip them. If you have no major knocks or rattles your probably ok Grouch, just keep an ear pealed for odd sounds and rattles. :jossun:

if its a tight coil like a spring then it will be a stripped thread from a bolt hole, not normally the bolt itself,( they tend to loose the thread and the threads get worn away)

The bad news if the thread is stripped theres nothing for the bolt to thread onto...you may need to consider a helicoil if they do one that size.....

On the other hand a tip for the future......

I've always replaced my sump bolt with one of those magnetised ones.

example here....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNETIC-MOTORCYCLE-OIL-CLEANING-SUMP-BOLT-ALLOY-10mm-/320584663278?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4aa455c0ee

That way any metal parts will be 'kept' in one place, until the engine oil is changed. never of course had any bits but its an insurance and piece of mind should it ever happen.

Cheers Neo, but they're the ones I use, cost £5 odd from WeMoto. This time I just couldn't be arsed waiting for one to come. I was eager to change the oil because I have shit loads of it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online