My Thundercat and the new laws, advice?

o.andrews
This post is 4163 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

HI all, I'm new here and in fact a new bike enthusiast. I'm 21 and I bought a Thundercat 600 in January with all my tests booked before the new laws came in. Unfortunately my test was cancelled 3 times because of the snow which means now I must abide by the new laws.

I already have a good idea of what I can and cannot do but there is one rule that is causing me problems:

"You cannot restrict a bike more than 50% its total bhp".

Now, brand new my bike would have been producing 100bhp meaning getting it to the legal 46bhp would be illegal.. just. But since its now 14 years old, I'm fairly sure it will have lost a few horses. If I was to somehow prove it was now 92bhp or below then restrict it, would that make it legal?

If not, well come grab a bargain..
http://yamahaclub.com/forums/classifieds/item/2-yamaha-thundercat-600/

All the best,

Oli

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Oli,

Welcome to the club,

Why not take it down and get it dyno run first to see what she has, then get her restricted and re-dyno run then you have two or three bits of paper proving that its all legal and legit.

also why not go down and have a chat with the local plod station to see what they say. if your trying to stay on the right side of the law they will be more than happy to help you out

I was reading an article last week about tests booked which had been cancelled due to the snow. As far as I know it's too late you have to do your test under the new rules regardless of the pre new law booking.

You're right Grouch. I also just got a call off a well informed police officer who said that regardless of whether the bike may have lost some bhp over the years, it is still in black and white. If the bike came out of the factory with 100bhp it remains that throughout and would therefore be illegal for me to restrict it to the legal 46bhp. Looks like I'm going to have to sell it and get an XJ6-N instead.

Thanks for the help!

You're right Grouch. I also just got a call off a well informed police officer who said that regardless of whether the bike may have lost some bhp over the years, it is still in black and white. If the bike came out of the factory with 100bhp it remains that throughout and would therefore be illegal for me to restrict it to the legal 46bhp. Looks like I'm going to have to sell it and get an XJ6-N instead.

Thanks for the help!

Unlucky mate, I feel for you. I think it is down right scandalous what has happened to all the people in your situation. The E.U. With their interfering yet again. We need out of it.

What bothers me is these new laws target bikers, but nothing is done to limit engine size/power etc for new car drivers. So a 17 year old can only ride a 125cc/15bhp bike but then can jump in a 4.4 litre/313bhp range rover and thats ok...? Of course the powers that be know only too well there'd be uproar from voters and car manufacturers if they brought in changes to restrict car engine sizes etc so they stick to targeting bikers as it'll only effect a small section of the population & possibly deter others from doing such a silly, annoying and thuggish activity as ride bikes. God forbid they actually train car drivers to pay attention when driving a 1 tonne plus weapon!

Anyway, sorry to hear you have to sell the bike, good luck finding a suitable replacement!