Yamaha XS 750 rebuild & restore build (Cafe style) introduction

Leprakong
This post is 4243 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello. My name's John. I'm 23. I'm from Pennsylvania in the United States, and I've been a proud owner of a 2006 GSXR 1000 for a while, and thought.. I've always wanted a old style cafe racer. So I got a 1979 Yamaha XS 750 for $400 to work on.

I'll post my build in the builds thread when I get started, but I thought I'd introduce myself here.

It's in really rough shape, and there's alot of things I'll need to do to get it running, and then looking spiffy.

The big things I know I'll need is a gas tank, ignition switch (didn't come with a key) of course a battery, cafe seat and handlebars, and a bunch of other things. Suprisingly, the carbs are in supurb condition. No rust or corrosion.

But right now, all I'm worried about is getting the thing running. So since this'll be my first time doing any kind of engine work what so ever, I'm going to need some help. I know that when I put it together, put fresh fluids in it and try to start it, there's going to be something. There always is. And I probably won't have any clue. That's why I'm here. :) I'm here to update my build to anyone who's interested, and most of all, to learn.

I'll post pictures of the bike soon.

Thanks for reading,

Johnny Mac.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome to the YOC John, always nice to have a new members with a project, someone will have ideas about what and where you can find the bits your looking for. Wish you luck with you bike and hope to see and hear how your getting on. Ride safe. :jossun:

Thanks. :D

Here's a picture of the bike in it's current state. I took the picture from my window because it's so cold outside. It sits next to my Gixxer den with no kick stand. lol

The guy was gonna give me the seat but I told him I was just gonna replace it with a cafe seat, so I let him kieep that.

555911_564701963542007_1719977457_n.jpg

Before I start making it look spiffy, I'm gonna be building a 4 bike garage. I need to fit both my bikes, my dad's harley, and my friend James' Kawasaki cafe project. We're both doing cafe's from old bikes.

But we both have a long way to go before we get there. Untill then, I'll just be tarping it.

get oil in the cyls or you'll find the engine seized when you come to work on it

in fact spray the whole bike in wd40 or whatever to keep the moisture out

Oh, alright. Thanks. Yea. I'll defenately do that. It's so cold outside now, and since I don't have a garage, I'm just gonna take the tripple, gauges, and some other parts around that area off tomorrow, take them inside and see what I could start doing to that until it starts getting warmer out.

I just ordered a new ignition switch "with a key ;)" and my clubman bars.

I also may stop at advanced tomorrow to get another spark plug on my way to work. I have two that were originally for my old v-twin. Gotta get one more. lol.

depending on how cold it is outside tomorrow morning, I might also take the cover off the side of the engine and see if I could move the chain sprocket by hand. Curiosity.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online