FJR1300 hard to restart when hot?

FJR_rider
This post is 4246 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I have recently picked up a near new 2010 FJR1300A [1500km], but noticed that it takes a few times to restart and run. It seems to be most prevelent after city riding on hot days. The engine temp gets up 2 x bars above mid point. It is nearly as if the fuel has boiled off?

Cheers

Ray

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

I have never had that problem on mine. I would of thought that if the fuel was evapourating whilst the bike was hot and stationary then it would also suffer fuel starvation whilst ticking over intraffic, I would look to see if the 'fuel pump' and the 'fuel pump relay' are both functioning correctly, I recall that I can some times hear the fuel pump power up when I turn the ignition on,

Hello Ray and others.

My first reply/post here.

Partial vapour lock as suggested. [crappy fuel ?]

2010 bike with very few miles could have residue from stale fuel [unleaded has a shelf life measured in months].

Fuel system cleaners actually work but if you have a fuel filter replace that first.

Normally I would also think tight valve clearances but at 1500km that cause could be discounted.

Check the vents on the tank are not trapped, an easy way is to open & shut the fuel cap then see if it starts 1st time. The newer FJR's are very lean burn and the CO is set low, can you increase the CO your model? as mine were set to 2.5 now at 4.5 and runs a bit cooler also most of the new models tend to run at 4 bars. As for evaporating fuel it cant as its pressure feed and doesn't have a float bowl or similar. Lastly do you try and start the bike immediately as you should let it do a system check before hitting the starter button.

Thank you for the good suggestions. There is no fuel filter mentioned in the manual, I have cycled the tank x 2 since I have had it, so hopefully stale fuel is flushed, but maybe a good flush could clear out any impurities.

As it is fuel injected, there is no vapour lock? but maybe a vacuum lock due to blocked tank vents? But why when it is hot only? Mybe the heat is effecting some tubes that vent the tank? Either way burping the tank sounds like a very good test. And I will wait to self test b4 starting.

Not sure about the CO settings for OZ, but I will ask the dealership. I plan a big ride in hot weather thsi weekend and see how I go!

Cheers

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online