chrome rusting on dt125r

kenDAWG
This post is 4065 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

again

ive left my dtr in a dirty unwashed state for a while now just using as a daily work bike now i finnished work the other day and decided to take her to the garage and jet wash it.

all was looking good until i noticed the muck on the wheels had been washed off and replaced with rust!!!!

hello

im looking at selling the bike sometime this year so i would like to keep her tidy, im going to replace all the cosmetic bolts that you can see holding the fairings and also new original decals...

all i want to know is how the hell do i get the rust off the chrome? i have a dremel but no attachments and i wouldnt know what to look for to do the job!!

any info advice appreciated!!

cheers

ken

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If it's surface rust VERY fine wire wool, plenty of wax/polish (eg muc-off miracle shine) and light rubbing. Make sure you use plenty of polish and don't let it dry. Did this on my old XVS125 and they came up a treat. Once done polish often or use ACF-50 or something similar to keep the rust at bay.

cheers for that pal, yes i do belive its surface rust as i rub my finger over it some of it just rubs off but obviously there is stuff thats a little more stuborn!!!

could i do this with t-cut?

i hate letting things get this bad i mean i paid £1400 for it not that long ago and it looks a shadow of its former self but with young baby in the house i dont have the time, all my bikes before this i knew inside out and i kept clean as a whistle stripping engines in the kitchen cleaning everything with a toothbrush and greasing up man it was as if i had ocd

i feel like im doing her harm lol

i will buy some acf-50 and start treating her right

cheers

ken

I wouldn't use t-cut myself. One other cheap trick is vinegar and a tooth brush. Vinegar is good at shifting surface rust and cheap as chips (goes nice with chips too!). When you get the ACF-50 spray it on a cloth and avoid brakes/tyres. Give the rest of the bike a wash and good coating with ACF then when weather warms up give it a good clean ready for sale

Dont buy anything! Try this get some kitchen foil fold it to a useable size put some water on the rim and rub you'll be surprised its a chemical thing it just removes the rust without damaging the chrome.

cheers for that bit info pal, i'll buy what is recomended not vinegar because to be honest i hate the smell of it lol

cheers

ken

i hate the smell of vinegar as well

not sure who thought it would be a good idea putting it on chips

Dont buy anything! Try this get some kitchen foil fold it to a useable size put some water on the rim and rub you'll be surprised its a chemical thing it just removes the rust without damaging the chrome.

need to try that

never heard of it

my usual is light use with a brillo pad

I had heard of tin foil being used but I think that was with Coca-Cola not water. Something about the acid in it (as with vinegar) which dissolves the rust. Whatever you use, ACF-50 wheels after to protect.

Rust is basically an oxidized metal. As heat is generated by the friction of rubbing the aluminium foil on the chrome, a portion of the aluminium will oxidise to produce an aluminium oxide. Aluminium has a higher reduction potential than the chrome, and will therefore take oxygen atoms away from any rust on the chrome surface which changes the chemical properties of the rust and breaks it down. Some people use coke but you don't really need too.

For surface rust on chrome I use tin foil and spit (saliva), it sounds pretty gross but trust me it works a treat. Once it's all nice and shiny again I give the chrome a very thin coating with vaseline (not on the exhausts of course) if I'm going to ride in wet conditions,,,just make sure it's washed and polished once a week and things should be ok :)........what I find to be even better than tin foil is "silver paper", the most effective being the interior wrapping found in cigarette packets, but only the silver wrapping, not the gold (doesn't work at all)! :icon_wink:

....and if you do use vinegar for anything,

it needs to be White Vinegar which is actually clear not white.

but whatever you do don't use Malt Vinegar. Thats the Brown stuff you put on your chips!!! :hungry:

They are different and the Malt stinks of vinegar compared to the white one!!!

This might be one of those Urban myths but.............

Apparently if you piss on your car windscreen its like a deicer and keeps the frost off

......................Bet that stinks too after a few hours!! :sick:

and I expect you'll end up with footprints in your bonnet!....... unless you've got a good aim!!!

Or a short bonnet...!

Coca cola and foil works

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online