Yamaha SR250 '83 ignition problems

Kostas
This post is 4248 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone. Im new here in forums and im also new in riding a bike.

A little history:

A friend of mine had a yamaha sr250 and he had an accident. The bike is not damaged because the accident was just a looooong draw away for the rider and the bike. The rider broke his astragalus that was it: the bike wasn't used for about a year.

Now: So here i am, i wanted to buy a bike and he told me he would sell it to me at a really low price. What i had to repair was the gear and the clutch lever. Once i cleaned the breaks, the chain and the fuel tank, changed engine oils, oil filter, fuel filter, cleand the carburetor and did a lot of other jobs, i finally came to the point of starting the bike.

The thing is that the bike wouldn't start! I came up with an idea: lets make from the start the electrical system. I began with the ignition, starting and the charging system. I bought wires and i made the electrical circuit with small modifications and now i have this problem.

Even the starting system is working perfectly the ignition system seems to have a problem. When i push the start button a spark comes out from the spark plug and then while the start button is pushed no spark is created! Once i release the start button, and the start system is going to be deactivated, there comes out another spark and then nothing!

The electrical system seems to be right because im an electical and computer engineer and i believe i understand how an electrical system works. The owner of the bike told me its the CDI Unit that needs to be replaced (and unfortunately it costs about 300€ to buy a new one).

I also made some other tests. I checked the Lighting Coil Resistance and Pulser Coil Resistance and if found out this

Measure | Required <<Allowance>> (acording to the bike's manual) | Test Results

Lighting Coil Resistance | 0.39Ω +-15% | 0,6Ω

Pulser Coil Resistance | 700Ω+-10% | 660Ω

Does anyone of you know what it might be wrong?

Any help would be appriciated.
Thanks in advance.

P.S.

Im about to make another electrical system now, designed by the book, but because im attending lessons at TUC (Technical Univercity Of Crete - Greece) it will take a while.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok i made a mistake :eusa_whistle: its his ankle! my bad.

The bike doesn't have a kickstart. It is either removed or never existed...

Finally i thought that the charge (source) coil was the lighting coil. :|

Here are the electric specs. Could you please take a look?

http://imageshack.us/f/203/0372m.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/805/0373g.jpg/

Thank you.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online