95 M XJ900S Diversion clutch stall

northerner
This post is 4159 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi just bought a 900 for a bit of a project to be an upgrade for my 600 which has a few problems. Its been stood for a year but starts on the button but requires a new collector which I'm going to get from Sandy spares. The main problem is that when I try to shift into 1st gear, the bike stalls. I found that the cable was not adjusted by the lever at all so I adjusted it but it made no difference. The clutch fork moves when you depress the lever and it feels like the plates are moving. Its quite low mileage 26k with loads of history ie services so I'm kind of hoping its not the clutch. Any ideas ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Possible that the clutch plates have stuck together. Try putting the bike in gear with the engine off, pull the clutch lever in and try gently rocking the bike to and fro. Sometimes this is enough to free them off. Or you could try putting the bike on the centre stand if it has one so the rear wheel is off the ground, put the bike in gear, pull the clutch lever in ,start the bike and try dabbing at the rear brake while still holding the clutch in. Be carefull though in case the bike rolls forward off the stand and the bike shoots off. If this doesn't work you will have to drain the oil and strip the clutch.

I don think its the switch as If I try and start it in gear with the clutch depressed, the bike lurches forward

• 2 weeks later...

2013-02-08-375_zps8263fe90.jpg

OK after taking off the cover and stripping out the clutch plates, I have found whats wrong. Basically some rust had formed on the metal plates and the fibre plates were fooked. So now installed a new EBC clutch kit with springs and rubbed down the plates with 180 wet/dry and all is fine. So if you have similar issues then this maybe your culprit!