SR250 gear ratio change info (12-41)

twistedkeys
This post is 4101 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just changed the gear ratio on my '81. Thought I'd let everyone know some things about this.

1. DO NOT buy a gear lower than 12 in the front. The locking brace is literally 1-3mm too big and will bump up your chain. I installed a 12 and had to shave that bracket down a bit.

2. For a 12-41 it was a 97 link chain at the shortest adjustment.

3. As far as I know you can't physically buy anything smaller. They do sell 10-11tooth fronts, but as I said, you'll have to do some modifications to the locking bracket to get it to hold the chain right. Or fabricate a new one.

4. I have not tested top speed, although I am cruising at 25mph in the mid 3rd gear, instead of the low 4th gear. Still very peppy.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

why do you want to lower your gearing?

is it bogging down on you?

Um not really. I'm trying to get it to cruise at 65-75mph for when I take it down to SoCal. I don't think this will go faster than 70ish top speed. Cruising in the powerband for hundreds of miles is the thing that worries me.

lowering your gear ratios overall will raise the revs!

you want a higher gear on the front sprocket ie 12 up to 13 teeth

or

lower on the rear ie 33 to 32 teeth

that will lower the engine revs for cruising

A taller front sprocket is better as the chain will have a longer circumference to go round and have an easier life.

1 tooth on the front also = about 3 teeth on the rear.

• Like 1

lowering your gear ratios overall will raise the revs!

you want a higher gear on the front sprocket ie 12 up to 13 teeth

or

lower on the rear ie 33 to 32 teeth

that will lower the engine revs for cruising

A taller front sprocket is better as the chain will have a longer circumference to go round and have an easier life.

1 tooth on the front also = about 3 teeth on the rear.

Higher means more teeth right? Too bad I can't really find anything less than a 41 on the rear :/

Higher means more teeth right? Too bad I can't really find anything less than a 41 on the rear :/

so you want to lower the engine revs for the same speed?

put a 13 on the front

BTW you can get sprockets made, not really a big deal, JT's in Wales do them and I'm sure there's someone stateside

so you want to lower the engine revs for the same speed?

put a 13 on the front

BTW you can get sprockets made, not really a big deal, JT's in Wales do them and I'm sure there's someone stateside

Yeah there's one down the street, no big deal, but it's over $100 for a custom 45 tooth.

UPDATE: took my bike 90 miles to a ski resort yesterday (yes, with skis). There was no other way than the freeway to there so I hopped on and went for it.

On the way down I had a head wind and was only reaching 50-60 MPH. On the way back my GPS died, but I was keeping up with cars on a posted 80 MPH, who knows if they were going 90+. But this was with a windshield, completely full throttle, and in the powerband. At that speed the little bike will drastically slow down if there's any hill or head wind. It's really lacking power on the highway (unsurprisingly).

This is with a 16-41 ratio, had to add a link in the chain to get it to fit from my 13-41 but everything worked out.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online