10w40 semi synthetic.. for my rxs?

shambles1980
This post is 4157 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i have some nice new 10W40 semi synthetic oil.
Was going to throw it in the rxs..
but i was wondering if thats going to be ok or will it cause clutch slip?
i was thinking maybe get some mineral oil, but not sure what kid like 20W50 or what?

any way will the 10W40 semi synthetic work ok?

edit i forgot to add the importaint part lol..

api SL/CF
(so im thinking clutch slippage)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

im pretty sure SL/CF means that its for petroll or diesel cars..
no other lettering to tell me its good for bikes..

if its no good then its no good but il probably end up risking it any way. as i can just drain it and clean it all up later if the clutch slips like crazy..
but haveing said that if i was told "definatly dont use it your being stupid shambles."
then i may just probably not put it in there lol..

But im thinking it should probably work ok..
I think the rxs has a wet clutch. "dont see why it wouldnt" so i dont need a slipping clutch confuzing me when we are talking about a bike that already suffers from power/drive issues.

the issue is not that the oil is semi synth, but that it's NOT for bikes, or anything else with a wet clutch. So you've answered your own question there really. Good thing you checked first! Check out Opie Oils for something more suitable. Motorbike-specific semi synth will be just fine.

didnt think it would be the best idea..
but the crap thats in there has to be all gunked up and manky by now, so i was thinking of throwing some of this in there letting it turn over for a while throw some more in let it turn over a bit longer then drain the whole lot out.

I was thinking i could possibly just use the rest for the new oil. but if its "a stupid idea" and i should "snap out of it"
then i could instead put whats left in maybe with some of that engine fush stuff let it tick over a bit again "just to warm up" then drain that out too, and hopefully get it as clean as possible.

the new oil should then have the best start of life..

or should i just not put it in there at all even if it is just to clean..

because my alternatave idea was to pour some diesel in there to clean it out, but im thinking thats an even worse idea.. "or is it"

The oil in the gearbox of a little commuter like the rxs will be fine for years.

So long as the level is good.

All the junk in a 4stroke comes from the top end. Little bits of carbon passing the rings and stuff burning on the bottom of the pistons. Thats the black killer gunk in a 4 stroke.

All you have to colour yours is some clutch dust. Dont fret. Like i said the level is more important than the type.

nope.. thats why i was asking mainly. all it has is api SL/CF acea a3/b3
i think that all means car perol and diesel, and then the grade. (prety low grade)

im not an expert on that though, but thats what i think it means.

im not sure that because its a3 rather than Cx it has less anti friction addetaves, or if its just cheapo stuff..
was really wondering how much clutch slipping i should expect from it If i used it.

and i was wondering if im going to change the oil any way, should i get 20W50 mineral oil. or 10w40 syemi synthetic, I was going to go for 10W40, but as mentioned the stuff i have is for cars. so if im having to buy some any way wonder what id be better off using.

the bike will be quite high above sea level as im in snowdon and live up the mountain a bit. so it does get prety cold up there,

still may end up trying it to see..
I see some people say they only get occasional clutch slipping but i dont actualy like the thought of clutch slipping lol.
I dont wake up in the morning and say "I know what i need, an occasionaly slipping clutch!"

• 3 weeks later...

Oil! The only thing you should avoid is car oil as this has friction modifies in it that will cause problems with motorcycle wet clutches.

I wouldn't waste money on anything other then basic mineral oil for the RXS. They are tough little buggers and Yamaha specify basic mineral oil

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online