New member - needs help!!

This post is 4163 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I've joined out of interest and desperation.

I have a TRX850 which is a fantastic machine. However over the past few months it has become harder and harder to start and now coughs occasionally but doesn't come alive.

Thoughts are - K&N filter I fitted in spring has adversely affected carburation.

Choke is causing flooding, but no joy if starting without choke from a rest.

Looking at some other posts, my worry is that valve clearance could be a problem - is that a common thing with TRXs?

Is there someone in the North-West who knows about these things - any recommended workshops?

Thanks,

CS

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Be handy to know your mechanical understanding and where you are.

Long time biker etc. Something in the new members would be good.

Cant really help with the bike. 2 stroke man myself. Although i nearly bought a blue trx a long time ago. Basically a tdm so plenty of folk on here should be able to put you right.

Hope we help.....

Hi and welcome the list of your problems could go on and on soooooo.Start with the basics new plugs and check spark,confirm the valves aren't tight ( they tighten with age, a compression test or leak down test can be the quick way to check they aren't open) clean the air filter. Clean up the carbs ,,,You didn't include what year your bike is or mileage or how often you ride it??

probably worn emulsion tubes. also be aware that big twin needs good coils and leads.

best to introduce here and ask for help in one of the discussion areas.

Thanks for the replies so far. I expected the subject of emulsion tubes might come up.

My mechanical knowledge is reasonable, I'm in my 50s and never really grew up. The TRX is an "S" reg, about 30K on the clock, used regularly until it let me down at work.

Currently has K&N filter fitted, Micron race pipes which are rather fruity ;-) Doesn't drink oil the way some TRXs and TDMs do.

What are the general views on changing emulsion tubes - not for the faint hearted or straightforward?

Can I check Valve clearances with the engine in situ or does it have to come out (I have no workshop).

Great to have some support.

Thanks,

the Captain.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update - I've checked the plugs - they're dry after trying to start and there's a good spark when I turn her over, so not flooding, not ignition. Took the tank off and the fuel tap started misbehaving, dribbling everywhere which it shouldn't if there's no vacuum. Possible issue - fuel not getting through? Can Trixies suffer blocked fuel taps? I know it was dribbling, but if that's as much as gets through it would never fill the carbs. Anyway, will get one on order. Checked the K&N & re-seated it. Still not starting :-(

S.I.G.

The Captain.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online