XJ750 Exhaust question and advice needed pleeeeease!

davie6711
This post is 4144 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

[post='IMG_1467_zpsa19133ba.jpg']

This is my grey import XJ750. i need a new exhaust. Do you think that one from any others in the XJ range would fit i.e. XJ550/600/650/750/900 would fit or could be made to fit?

Sorry if i've asked this question before but i've been everywhere, even ebay USA!

Does anyone have one for sale?

Cheers everyone!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Whats the one on the bike now as it doesnt look standard. Not sure but the 1st XJ900 was only an 853 or something so it could have been bored out and the pipes may fit. Cant the one that fits now be fixed?

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

It possibly could be fixed as one of the downpipes is about rusted through but as it's not sealing well at the head it may not be the correct one anyway. I'm going to my lock up now to have a look

HI Davie. I have the SECA750 which is similar to yours and the headers are the only thing that can be a problem, the 650 ones are a slightly different shape/angle to the 750 ones but other than that they are more or less the same, if you make up a bracket for the rear mount on the expansion box (where it attaches to the foot rest mount) most of them will fit but might need a bit of fettling to get them just right, the 900 ones are numbered differently but went on to mine perfectly, if you check the numbers on the end of the header pipes you can see that they are only a few numbers different, looking at your bike it has the same expansion box as the one I bought off of ebay for my MAXIM which originally came off of an xj900 and that fit straight on with no problem at all except that the 4 way connector needed to be fiddled with to get it to seal properly, hope that helps a bit? :jossun:

Hi Slice,

Thats brilliant news mate. I have no problem with making brackets and things but I am terrified of old header bolts!!!! They give me nightmares.

I will get on to flea bay at once!!!!

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Everybody,

A wee bit of progress but, as usual, i've hit a couple of problems. As I mentioned on another post I managed to buy a brand new old stock Motad system. Whether it's actually designed specifically for my bike is questionable but it looks like it'll be ok.

The problem is that if I follow the destructions I don't have enough or any thread to tighten the the downpipes onto the head. Here's a couple of pics....

th_IMG_1535_zps26b72b41.jpg

These are the parts I have as well as the new exhaust

th_IMG_1536_zps985d6d65.jpg

This is the problem. Any suggestions?

Hi Nayruf,

No mate, not a silly question at all! The metal flanges that came with the exhaust, one for each header is pushed by the (collar??) so it needs to seat properly. The diameter of each end has to be correct. I saw a guy on youtube and he hammered the collar until he had sufficient thread to be able to tighten it up but i'm not to keen on that.

Of course i've now chucked out the old exhaust about a week ago and trying to remember what that looked like. It didn't have these flanges but had some sort of sleeve that went right up to the end of each header pipe....

Longer studs would be the simple soloution,put good heat to the old ones and they will come out.

Hi Davie, I had the same problem but you just HAVE to jiggle the buggers until you get the thread in not easy but DO NOT cut the collars down they are the correct length, To coin a phrase the BELL end goes against the sealing ring up against the head and the collar has the end that just rests inside the recess, then it's just a case of wiggling it till goes home, it's worse when you use new sealing rings in the head as you have to crush them down before the things tighten up. You can use longer studs (I think they are M6 size) to get them in place and replace them with the originals when you have it tightened down, it's just fiddly to do, just do one at a time and it should be simple. Good luck. :jossun:

Hey Slice,

Thanks for the reply. If I follow the instructions and put the narrow end against the new gasket and the bell end against the collar no matter how much you wiggle and push there is just no thread to catch. I agree I don't think cutting the collars is the answer. I did try it the wrong way round and yes that allows me to tighten everything up but the exhaust has free play of around one inch.

Question: Can you just use threaded rod?

Are there longer studs available freely?

I'm pissed off with it now cos I get one day a week off and achieved nowt!

Hi Davie, I see no reason why threaded rod can't be used as long as the thread is the same and you can get the old studs out then do that, makes much more sense than pissing about with the short originals, might be an idea to use stainless and make sure you use some copper ease/grease as well so that the thread goes in nice and smooth and it makes it easier to get them out at a later date. Wish you luck mate. you can buy rod of off ebay for just a few quid drewpy sent me a link to some one he's used before but I have forgotten it so PM him and see what he comes up with. Also just thought that stainless nuts might be the way to go as well as then your pretty sure they won't rust on, let me know how your doing if you would. :jossun:

Hey Slice,

Thanks for the advice. I jumped the gun a wee bit and ordered new studs from ebay. They're 8 mm at one end and 6mm at the other end. Why did I do this, no idea????

The more I look at what Motad have sent with the 4-1 the more it puzzles me cos even if the collar thingy's do fit I doubt they'd last longer than a couple of winters. I'm going to email them for advice because they must have had this situation before.

I'll keep this thread up to date but i'm not off work again til Thursday.

Thanks again all......

Hey,

A little progress......I managed to track down the old system from a mate's scrap bin and recovered the old gasket/header collars or whatever they're called. Removed them and gave them a quick clean. Do you think these'll work folks?

IMG_1557_zpsa25d7425.jpg

IMG_1558_zpsd0f11fb2.jpg

Hi Davie, Don't see why not, might be a good idea to straighten them out a bit the in head collars seem a little rounded out but the head seals will take some of that up just give them a bit of a whack where they are most ripply and that should be enough I would think. Great that you managed to find them a bit lucky there, what is the difference between the old ones and the new ones? Are they longer necked than the old one's? Can't really see with your other photo being a bit TINY. Good luck anyway. :jossun:

Ok so I actually clicked on your photo and got the full size picture (All this modern stuff is confusing when you get old) and was just wondering if you did in fact have the NEW collars the wrong way round? not that it actually matters if you have the old ones but if you havent tried the collars the RIGHTway round it might be worth having another go with them before putting the old ones on. Also if you have nice new exhaust pipes then it might be an idea to change the exhaust seals in the head as ewell as that will guarantee a good seal.

Hey Slice,

Thanks for that. I tried the new ones both ways. If you put them in the "wrong" way round you can tighten it all up nicely but you can pull the headers in and out easily.

I have new seals(gaskets)? already in place and I bought new header bolts which should arrive any day now.

It's really frustrating as I only get one day off per week which is Thursday and, you guessed it, it's Valentines Day. I may be killed outright slowly and painfully if I go near the lock-up. Any good excuses out there please reply.

So, I have the new pipe, gasket, old seals and new bolts coming. Anything else? Would you recommend exhaust paste as well? The guys use that stuff in work.

All the best everyone.

Hey Airhead,

Thanks for that. Do I detect a slight hint of sarcasm? I've never had a new exhaust for a bike before and to me it's not as easy as it should be with wrong seals, stubborn bolts and various other issues which are entirely my doing to be fair!

On the first photo, the next port along I can't get the new header bolt to start in the thread if you know what i mean. I tried a bolt with the same result. Any advice or suggestions? Sarcasm included!

All the best,

Davie.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online