Replacing the ignition?

Azrael
This post is 6831 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everybody,

I lost my ignition key to my Yamaha SR 125. Now i am unable to have a copy made as i did not record the numbers on the key (Doh).

So i need to replace the ignition. I did ask my local garage(nobbys motorcycles in rotherham) to replace the ignition for me, and he seemed fine to pick it up for me and do it. But after asking him to do this 5 times and him not turning up it just seems silly now asking him again and he clearly does not want to do it for unknown reasons.

So i went to my local CMC in sheffield and they said that they would also replace it for me but that i would need to know whether it was a 2 or 4 type ignition. Now i presume the only way i will know this is if i take the ignition off. GRRRR. So i have had a look at my haynes manual and i cant find anything there that would give me a clue as to where to start. Im guessing that i need to take the handles bars off. Am i on the right track???

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If the Ignition KeySwitch is attached to the bottom side of the top yoke with bolts (Most of 'em are ;) ), the easier way is to take the headlight out of it's bucket, & then unbolt the bucket from the "ears" on each side of it.....then pivot the bucket forward to access the bolts for the switch......it's an easy fix you can accomplish with just a ratchet spanner & 10-12mm sockets.

Depending on the vintage of your SR, you might be able to see very small No. right on the face of the keyswitch....you can then possibly order a key to match that No. .......just a thought ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online