please help worried about my xvs 1300 midnight star

Nicholai
This post is 4165 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I took my star out for the first time in a couple of weeks today. When i was on my way back she started kangarooing down the road and when i got it home it was running badly. It has fuel in the tank but not that much but the fuel light has not come on but does work as when i you turn the key it lights up and goes out. I am very worried as i hope there is nothing majorly wrong i will put some more fuel in soon and try it, but i was wondering if anyone would know any different. From filling her up till now i have only done about 60 miles and she is almost empty but i have only done little trips as weather has been rubbish as you know.

Nick

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Most 600cc+ bikes can manage 120 miles before hitting reserve.

It sounds more like a bit of carb icing to me...

Agreed with Tasky could be a bit of carb freeze, the other thing could be that if she has gone too low she may have sucked up a bit of gunge from the petrol at the bottom of the tank and clogged a jet.

Quick question tho, have you fitted aftermarket pipes? if so have you re-jetted the carbs? check the spark plugs too to see if she is running properly.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replys i dont think she has an aftermarket pipe but she is loud i think she just has had the baffels drilled out. She has been dyno jetted tho as i have so much paperwork that came with it. Loads of bill of accessories which is one hell of a bill.

Could ou tell me what carb freeze is please sorry i dont know a lot about bikes cars yes lol.

Here is a little snippet from wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor_icing

My mate at work has a Buell Cyclone and gets this a lot and back in late 2011 he was banked round a corner coming to work and this happened and cut the engine out and high sided him off he was ok but has taken him all last year to fix the problem and is getting it back on the road this spring. But saying that it is highly modified and is pumping out 140bhp at the wheel lol

• 4 weeks later...

Two things spring to mind, 1 bad fuel or possibly water in it if it's been stood for a while - the injectors won't like that. File up and see if that solves the problem.

Second thing is riding in the wrong gear. The 1300 is quite tall geared e.g. around 30mph feels like it wants to be in 3rd but it struggles with it. I'd suggest if the petrol doesn't help try leaving it in a lower gear for longer.