yamahaxj6001991

yamahaxj6001991
This post is 4189 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi

I have a yamaha xj600 I have spent weeks trying to balence the carbs but I have not been able to do this I have all the gauges for the job but I still cant get it right I was wondering if anyone in or near southampton could help me with this problem or do I need to put the bike in to a garage for them to sort out ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there bud

from memory i think you balance carb 1 and carb 2 together, then carb 3 and 4 together, and then balance carb 2 and 3... im not 100% sure on this but its a similar sort of process,

People normally a couple of easy mistakes balancing their own carbs.

Firstly the bike needs to be at normal temp.

Make sure the gagues are ready to go. If its the first time with the gagues put each on one cylinder. Number1 for example. Then you can adjust the dials so they are all set together. Then you can trust their results.

There should be small valves on the hoses to the carbs. These need to be shut on start up or the gagues will be damaged.

The engine needs to be at around 1800rpm too. Dont wind it up on the idle screws you need to use the twist grip so the carbs open on the diaphram. Second person is very usefull.

Lastly as steve said. Balance 1 and 2. Then 3 and 4. Finally balance both pairs.

took the bike on a 30 mile run to warm the engine up did all of the above and still nothing the bike failed to start again so took the carbs back off and reset them by eye bike runs but when you get up to a speed of a about 70mph she holds back until you get past 70 mph and then it happens again at about 90 mph