1979 dt 250 dirt track project

Gsouza
This post is 4260 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I recently started a dt 250 dirt track project..

i am wondering about eliminating the oil pump..can i run a throttle cable just to the carb and mix the fuel??

my next question is lowering the forks..not just moving them up in the trees..i hear just cut springs and add heavier fork fluid??

third question. wiring the bike up so it will start..i would like to make a who new wiring loom.

thank you very much

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Why not introduce yourself. Makes a big difference to the amount of replies. First post questions unless well written and informative are often ignored.

HI ya'll my name is Greg i am 23 years old and I have a passion for wrenching and fabricating motorcycles. growing up riding and watching my dad wrench i have experience with new model dirt bikes and i have built ground up hard tail sportsters & shovels and now i am working on a 07 street glide. I built a xs650 framer but that was easy. with the love of motorcycles i recently graduated MMI from Harley- Davidson and Honda. i invested in a 1979 dt 250 for $30 and got it running in 4 kicks. thanks for the help :hyper:

Thats better.

Junking the oil pump is up to you. Its a marmite subject. Personally i think you would be stupid to do it.

Lowering the forks. They are hardly long and the travel is not extensive. Dropping them through the yokes with thicker oil would be better surely.

Lastly the ig. Is it cdi or points. If its points and you dont want lights or anything else you could be down to 2 or 3 wires. Litterally mag to coil to kill switch.

why is junking the oil pump stupid?? if i keep it i gotta get a new lower throttle cable caue this one is broken and i cant find a new one anywhere.

And moving them thru the trees i need to lower the front end three inches. the risers get in the way.

and which color wire off the mag do i need??

thank u

You still havent said if its cdi or not.

The oil pump is preference but obviously the oil pump that adjusts the oil to the rpm and throttle conditions can be done far better by chucking oil on the fuel. As i said preference and mine is that the pump is worth any effort needed to use it.

Finaly. You want to loose 3inches of travel. Check how much you have first. Losing that much will make it dangerous.

Lengthen the "Dog Bones" (i think your bike has them) on the rear swing arm, this will lower the rear of the bike.

Slide the forks through the yoks a little, a little movement here drops the front a fair bit.

Bleed the air from the forks, if ya have trapped air the forks will be pushed out to there max and wont compress much.

Putting heavier fork oil in will only harded up the suspension, making them boounce less and therefor keep the front of the bike higher.

I've no idea on wiring.

Keep the oil pump,,,,,,, if your off-roading the bike will be up in the revs a lot,,,,,, the engine runs leaner when up in the revs,,,,,, with oil pump working it gives more oil the more you twist the throttle

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online