dt400e (mx)

This post is 4233 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

Rebuilding 1977-78 DT400E this is the USA version of MX' got to the stage of setting oil pump and carb,

Regarding the pump everything I've read says hold throttle open and adjust cable to line up mark on pulley adjuster with pin there is no way this will turn enough to line up? although there is another mark which I can line up with throttle closed?

Regarding the carb undo sight plug and adjust cble so you can just see mark on the slide, no chance,

The difference with this model is that there is a plastic connector joining the throttle cable to the carb cable and oil pump cable?

Any help greatly appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome crisspyT, Line up mark at idle on oil pump, Carb = back off cable till slide seats, screw back idle screw first tho, feel with finger on slide as opening throttle, then take up slack,[adjuster] then adjust idle, My DT400c had brass adjuster on top of carb, and long adjuster at bar end of cable,, what colour is yours , its 1980 since i sold my MX,,, sold my 400C in 2010, :eusa_doh:

hI Blackhat

Thanks for info I was sure I was on the right path but all the literature just didn't confirm.

I had all the manuals from doing up a mates DT250 which he had kept since he was 17, he turns 50 this year.

I got the DT400 E from a friend of a friend who imported it from USA a few years ago it's yellow so hoping to keep it that way,

Still got a couple of things to find, chain case and that elusive panel that always falls off that covers the tool kit.

First time using forum how do you add pictures?

Thanks Guys

CMSL is good rescource but no one has missing parts will just have to keep trying the dreaded ebay.

Have tried the photobucket route but no luck maybe just me being non tech.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Thought you might like to see how the DT was comming along.

Still needs chain guard and of course the missing tool kit cover, my friend has an original cover so might make fibre glass mould.

Chris

I did think about putting some big knobly tires on it but being only 5ft nothing and actually wanting to ride it!!!! every millimetre counts.

The rear shock is on standard setting so might try softening it up and see if it affects ride hight, has anyone else played with the settings?

Only been round the car park so far but seems to run ok I changed to a Wiseco piston and was a bit unsure when it arrived as it was radically different shape.

356702c9-496c-4991-9db6-ef70803d32f1_zps

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s530/crispyturnip/0e7a40fc-ef35-4c8c-b783-99207a447e0e_zpsc985f649.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online