Removing rust from a DT tank, possibly the XJ tank tomorrow.

wild foamy
This post is 4278 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Heya peeps,

Ive finally got my arse into some sort of gear and started work on the DT50 restoration, the tank that came with the bike was in good condition but had some dents and chips in it, aswell as rust on the inside although it doesnt seem to be too bad, i was planning to chemically treat the inside but its expensive, non-original and i dont think the tank is that bad that it requires it to hold liquid.

I read an article sometime ago where a guy used vinegar to clean the inside of his fireblade tank, and also how i used to clean model aircraft engines back in my yoof, so for £4 i bought 8 bottles of distilled vinegar from tescos (each just under 600ml) and put these into the tank along with some random nuts and bolts i had laying around after blocking off the petcock and breather and shaking it like f*ck for about 5 minutes in various orientations.

So far the vinegar has changed to a browny colour from its normal clear and there is visibly less rust on the tank neck, it is also fizzing slightly and has a vapour coming off the surface indicating that there is some sort of reaction tanking place, Will give it another good shake tomorrow morning and leave it for a few hours, if there is noticeable improvement i may well strain the mixture off and use it on the XJ turbo tank and see how that comes up,

when i have the inside of the tank back to a reasonable condition i can then start rubbing down and painting the outside once i know it isnt full of holes

Tank before treating:

DSCF2439_zps34e215e8.jpg

Well post a pic tomorrow and compare the two :), may be a good ref for someone who is considering removing rust from their tank too

I have some filler left over from my other mini aswell as some Mercedes paint which is a better match to the original DT fenders than the original sky blue paint, if this experiment works i should have it sprayed up and good as new in no time :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So filling the tank with a couple of litres of acid is a good thing steve?

The fizzing is the acid digesting the steel. Vinegar is primarily water with between 5 and 10 percent/vol acetic acid.

Your making rust.

Ah bollocks, this is why i dont drink when im in the workshop -.-

Ive used phosphoric acid to kill the rust on my minis valence before though, is this not the same principle? :S

Your stripping away the layer of metal the rust is attaced to leaving nice clean unprotected steel for the water to corrode.

I'm surprised you could get phosphoric acid in any quantity unless it was very dilute. That makes battery acid seem like handwash.

I cant remember the stuff but you need a chemical that strips oxygen then the iron oxide aka rust will return to the more stable iron and then seal it.

Or use one of the complete sealing kits. I used one on the tdr. Only 60 or so quid. Just make sure they are ethanol stable and it will be fine.

What do they usually coat these tanks with when they were new?, i want it to be as close to original spec as i can get it right now its dark and cold out there, will empty the crap out of it tomorrow and see whats happened.

Just had a look at the phosphoric acid i used on the mini and its 75%, you can buy them up to 81% and can find it even at garden centres where it is used to alter the PH of soil, this is the one i used

Nothing. Once upon a time petrol had little or no moisture in it. And kept the tank clear. Your dad ever told you to keep the tank full to stop it rusting.

Original be buggered. If you dont seal the tank it will rot out in the end.

Your dad ever told you to keep the tank full to stop it rusting.

Yeah many times, i thought that was the right thing to do?

once i know the tank is a good base to start from i will look at treating it, for storage i was going to fill it with oil

Stevie" i used Flowliner bio rust, its crystals , i rinced mine twice, - spotless, and leaves a film on steel. cheap too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLOWLINER-BIO-RUST-RUST-REMOVER-FOR-THOSE-RUSTY-TANKS-/190478168358?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c59623126

I do have another DT50 tank from the bike im splitting for spares, its on ebay at the moment but if it doesnt sell i wouldnt mind trying the electrolysis method

No john you have to paint/seal the metal afterwards.

after sitting in a garden for 13 years and then a car park for a year there are plenty of rusty things on the XJ turbo i could probably use, i prefer shotblasting though, such a nice finish

after sitting in a garden for 13 years and then a car park for a year there are plenty of rusty things on the XJ turbo i could probably use, i prefer shotblasting though, such a nice finish

Yeah but It's invasive it removes both good and bad, electrolysis only removes bad but of course may leave a poor finish...wont matter in a tank though...hey you'll need a pretty big plastic container to submerge the tank in

Not sure on this. Electolysis is a proven idea but it wont remove rust. You are extracting iron from the Steel.

I dont see a benefit. You need to stabilise the chemistry in the tank.

Ie reconstitute the rust back to iron chemically. That will stabilise the metal. Then seal the metal off from the primary villan. Ethanol and water.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online