Dtr overheating

kenDAWG
This post is 4143 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well I got my bike rebuilt consisting of

Piston,rings small end bairings, athena gasket, carbon reeds and changed the head to a 3mb everything went fine took a few hours fired her up and she sounded perfect a little smokey but that will be due to me oiling up the barrel with 2t oil.

Anyway I left her ticking over for 10 mins like I normally do went back into garage and there was steam coming from radiator cap and the temp was sky high....

I'm beginning to wonder if the head might be warped or something?

Is it possible to have airlock???

I'm going to be having another look tomorrow but I want a few pointers as to what I should be looking for? I just turned her off and walked away so everything will be as it was...

I did notice however that the expansion tank serves no purpose as that was the first place I looked and no water coming out of any overflows etc!!!

Any advice would be welcome

Cheers lads

Ken

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yeah I would be surprised if the head was warped, if that was the case I would expect there to be loads of bubbles in the expansion tank as the compressed gasses are pushed into the cooling system. top up the radiator and squeeze any rubber hoses to it with a pumping action, re top-up if the level drops.

as has been said above, make sure you give the pipes a good squeeze to remove any air and draw in coolant, take the top hose off an manually pour coolant into the head ports if you can, if you can start it briefly with the top hose off you can check the water pump is working correctly,

im thinking if its a different head maybe the galleries arent lining up right with the cases and head, not being familiar with the LC DTs i wouldnt know :(

I'm going for the airlock first as said above, I'm sure all water passages etc line up perfect as I had both the heads together and checked em over before I installed them.

I hope I haven't caused any damage because in all honesty I haven't got the time these days to mess on with the bairn taking up most of my free time, I have today to get it sorted so finger crossed

I wouldn't care she sounds sweet as a nut nice and healthy so I'm in no doubt that if I can sort the cooling out I'll be happy for a while

Cheers

Ken

Oops.

I dont like the seam from the cap. That should have gone to the headder tank.

Was on right? Dont shoot me for asking but wouldnt be the first time a cap has gone bad or it hasnt been tightened.

cap was tightned mate... old coolant was pink new coolant is blue the expansion tank still contains pink coolant so im guessing the run through the frame to the expansion tank is currently blocked...

i must say when i mean steam i didnt mean a steamtrain kinda vapour we are talking a tiny bit but that could also be the remains of what i spilt when topping her up getting heated up of the radiator.

ill be in the garage soon so ill see whats what and im thinking ill crack the head off and check the gasket, anyone know what torque settings i should be using on the head? i did tighten them up fairly tight but i got my torque wrench back from a friend so am gonna get this done properly!

ive got to thinking is there some kinda valve that opens to let the water through once the bike reaches a certain tempreture? thermostat?

i think im gonna put on the original head and have a mess on with the 3mb see if i can fully recondition it - person who sold it to me said it was off a working bike, well ill have to have a look myself.

cheers

ken

well a little update......

removed 3mb head nothing untoward noticed coolant level was still just under radiator cap.

replaced head with stock and off she went.

what has happened here is the 3mb i was sold is a dud, thermostat isnt opening so no liquid is being circulated - i took the bike out for a run up to 50mph and a ride about the streets and temp didnt go past halfway so unless someone has a good condition 3mb head for me im stickin with stock for a while.

i couldnt get the 3 screws off the top of the 3mb thermostat housing they are solid so im guessing its a bin job im not wasting anymore time on this im just a little gutted how people on ebay will say its working when its not no where near...

on a brighter note i bought a land rover defender 300 tdi temprature sender AMR1425 becuase it looked like the sendor on my dt and guess what it fit exactly the same and i bought a proper one from yambits at £40-so yambits charging £35+postage and landrover dealer charging £3.50+£1.50 postage how come when there exactly the same????

yambits you have a returns after christmas for sure.

anyway im happy bike feels really healthy bring on the summer

merry christmas everyone and have a good newyear

cheers

ken

thats what i was thinking of doing but you know what im looking at selling her so ill keep her standard maybe if i got some spare time ill have a look at it

ive got a newly re-sleaved cylinder aswell so i could get them both painted up and on fleebay.

im leaning towards an aprilia mx125 just something with a little more hp to pull my arse up the hills

ken

Well done ken " what made you think of the 300tdI sender" good old land rover eh,,

Merry Xmas bye the way,

i did read something online about a landrover sender fitting the dt but i had to trawl pictures on the internet to find a similar one and zoomed in and i narrowed it down to the 300tdi sender, i thought i would take one for the team and ordered it "does the job" exactly the same size etc so hey if anyone is looking for one you know the score and its a save of £35.

i found the tdi sender on fleebay brand new for £5 posted there easy to get ahold of but the dt sender is like looking for hens teeth

ken