'77 XS750 Front End swap question...

Weshennings
This post is 4180 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I've read a plethora of resources and online pages/blogs about performing a swap of the front end on my 77, but I can't seem to figure out one thing. There seems to be a variety of front ends that can be used for a conversion to a beefier/newer setup like from the Ninja's, but I'm curious if all of these require additional work due to steering stem length... Are there any compatible front ends that have the right bearings and stem length to basically be a "plug and play" setup? I'd like to do the conversion, but I'm looking for the easiest route possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Most of the online resources I checked or was directed to have loads of "lists" that cover this, but don't seem to go in any detail as to whether they are actual direct fit or need additional mods.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and welcome to the YOC, it's usually best if you do an intro before asking for help but perhaps you can do that next? The problem you have is not just can you swap out the front end for a newer one but what effect will it have on the handling of your bike, the bike you have was designed to use the forks that are on it and swapping them around to someting untested can be a recipe for disaster, for instance you have a 77 XS but if you try to fit the forks from an 83 XJ or a ninja the forward rake will be longer or shorter than the head stock was designed for so that in turn will put pressure into normally unstressed areas of the bike which over time will lead to a failure, what I'm saying is not that you can't do it but it will come around and bite you on the arse later, if you over stress the head stock for a period of time (say 6 months) of hard riding then it can fail without warning while you are riding, having the front of you bike come apart at 70 or 80mph is not something I would like to see. So to put it simply DON'T do it. Not unless you really have a yearning for hospital food.

Bit ott there slice.. I see your point but in reality its not somethingvthat happens unless someone has raked out the headstock and can't weld for shit.

As to upgrading bear in mind the balance of the bike. How will you upgrade the rear as that is normally harder. Not forgetting matching the wheels too or it looks cheap.

As to the front buy a complete front end. Wheel forks fender everything. As a lump its normally cheaper then you use YOUR stem in the donor yolks. You may need to have a stem turned depending on your choice and if you can get your stem out.

The most important issue is fork length modern forks are a lot shorter than older bikes. You should considervthat when choosing.