1991 pre div XJ600 gear changes

alexander foti
This post is 4303 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

After starting off on a ybr125 about 5 years ago, then switching over the Honda (NSR125, XL125 varadero and CB250 superdream) I have just bought a 1991 XJ600 pre diversion, in pretty good shape with just over 42k miles on it.

It seems to run pretty well so far, apart from one thing. The gear changes.

The gear lever is pretty "mushy" feeling and going up into neutral is very hard. It also seems as though the lever is a little bit higher than I would like as its a bit far from the top of my boot, so I have to strain to shift up, if that makes any sense?

It appears as though there is a linkage on this gear change lever, so I can assume that some aspect of this is worn, can anybody tell me if there are any common bits that wear?

Also the front brakes are a bit mushy, the back is great and has good feel. The front is odd, the lever is mushy, and you pull the lever, nothing, pull it a bit more, nothing, but more LOTS of braking .... Might need to pull that apart.

Thanks all :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

stainless brake lines are a worthy investment for this bike as the disks are plenty large enough to give good braking, a new set of seals for the brake master cylinder will set you back about £50,

with that many miles on the clock i wouldnt be surprised if the gear linkage has worn and the hole become elongated, i was planning to bore my lever out and press in a bush of the correct size but never got around to it

With foamy on this, probably brake lines need replacing and a new set of seals for the master cylinder should see you alright, I have the 750 version of your bike and the gear lever has an adjuster on it so I woulld take the whole thing off and reposition it to where you find it comfortable and then adjust it from there, first gear has always been a bit crunchy but being over 30 years old it is entitled to be a bit worn, just don't expect miracles from it and it should serve you well for a few years. Have fun with it! If your stuck then PM me and I will try to help out with some details from my manual. :jossun:

Cheers both.

I was thinking of just replacing the gear linkages as im sure its original and pretty worn.

I have adjusted it a little bit and will see what its like on its way to work tomorrow :)

Yeah, Its an old bike, but for under 400 quid I cant really go wrong (And the insurance was the same as the 125!)

awesome, will grab some brake master cylinder seals, should I also do the caliper seals as well? Thanks.

the adjuster will help move the lever to a position more comfortable but if there is movement in the lever it is probably worn (and considering that bike is 21 years old, it almost definately is worn).

caliper seals arent expensive so it may be worth doing those whilst your at it, all the crap and corrosion builds up behind the seals and squeezes the piston against the rubber which causes binding in the brake disks

I am also betting they are worn, have a look at this video. The ride to work was no better, in fact i couldn't get first most of the time.

Heres a video of the linkage, looks pretty worn.

Now I have to find a new one, im ruling out used ones as they might have the same problem.

Yeah I will do all the seals, have master cylinder rebuild kit and caliper seals on their way, previous owner had put new pads on it 2 months ago, so they can stay.

Hi, I liked the video makes things much easier to understand, my linkage is exactly the same as yours so unless there is actual movement in the ball and socket of the linkage then its just a question of moving the linkage until it works for you, you will find if you decide to buy a new linkage that there is just as much movement in the new one as in the old one it's just the nature of the beast really, try just moving the gear lever up a few notches and see if that helps. :jossun:

No worries :) A video says 1000 words.

OK in that case then i just need to do some adjusting. I tried adjusting the adjuster in the middle, which made upshifts better but I lost first. Im thinking its not attached on the spline correctly. I have to remove the circlip etc which is annoying, will give it a go tonight if its not too cold.

Cheers!

There must be something else that uses this linkage I mean they surely wouldnt have made it just for one type of bike and then built something else completely for everything else, does the DIVI use someting similar for instance? not had a close look at them but it's worth a try.And does it have to be off of a Yam? might someting from a Suzi or Honda fit instead? There must be a "NEW" bike out there somewhere that uses this linkage I mean the price of retooling to build someting else will make them use it else where surely. :jossun:

Having a quick look, the parts are different but are pretty similar. I could probably modify it to work.

meh after looking at my video again, it seems that most of the movement is on the shaft, a bush would work, (as Foamy mentioned).

I have never made a bush and wouldnt know where to start. I could fill it with weld and then drill it out to the correct size, thoughts?, or maybe weld some bolts into it and drill them out to the correct size?

They look ok, all you need to do is measure the shaft and go a couple of mil higher to get a snug fit, should work a treat.