xv750 resurection

capman
This post is 4303 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

I have just bought a 1992 xv750 virago as seen for 100 gb pounds. Pipes off, rear puncture., no battery, siezed center stand, extreeeemly stiff side stand, juice in the tank but cant unlock the filler, hard shiny tyres and its looking a bit sorry for itself. Probably missing small bits and bolts.

I have been told that the clutch plates are siezed but the clutch lever feels right. You cant push it when it is gear so I dont know if it is the clutch or if the engines siezed.

Hooked up a battery with jump leads and I have lights, indicators on one side and idiot lights.

My first query is whats the knack to getting it on the center stand now I have freed it. At the moment it wants to fall over when on the side stand and the tyre deflates.

second, any idea why I cant undo filler cap and any solutions.

third, suggestions for reasonable priced tyres that will give me a bit of grio in wet and dry conditions.

I dont want to try and start it until I have got it on the center stand and it is stable to work on and was thinking of starting on the clutch to a) free it and b)check it out.

Any answers or advice in general would be more than welcome.

Thanks guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It looks to me like you have bought a bike "for spares only"

Assuming that the spring is on the centre stand still:

Stand at the left hand side of the bike, bike upright and off the side stand, facing the bike, left hand on the left grip, right hand on the sissy bar/grab rail, right foot on the centre stand lug. Quickly transfer all of your weight onto the right foot as if forcing the stand into the ground. The bike should pivot over the balance point and onto the stand. I'm only 10 1/2 stone, and its no hassle.

To get it off the stand, hold at the same points, then just shove quickly forwards

Forget tyres till youve got the motor turning over, it sounds like youve some way to go yet

Filler cap lock, release oil/penetrating oil (I recommend Plusgas) down the keyway, key in and out till it goes in and out smoothly. Oil the key, then keep trying (GENTLY) to turn the key a bit at a time. Be patient, it may take days. Same stuff on the cap hinge, work it slowly

Thanks neversaydie. Will practice getting it on the stand and start the soaking process for the filler cap.The key does turn but there doesn't appear to be any movement of the cap like there is on my 535.

Came to the same conclusion about the tyres last night and have just bought a sray can puncture repair/sealant. If that works at least I can wheel it about.

Capman

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online