XT 125 X on/off road tyres

j0hn
This post is 4092 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Was thinking of getting some good on/off road tyres for my XT 125 X after Cynic mentioned how good the Bridegestone Trailwings are but I'm not quite sure which combination of tyres to get since 17" front tyres are pretty impossible to find. I've read that it is possible to run on two rear tyres so that is what my hopes are.

Yamaha XT 125 X (2008) Tyre specifications from the owners manual:
Front: 100/80-17 52S
Rear: 130/70-17 62S

The clearance between the spokes for the front tyre is around 125-130mm so I'm guessing a typical 120mm rear tyre is going to be pretty tight in there. The only 17" Bridegestone Trailwings tyre is a 4.60-17 62P which equates to 116.84 mm (width) so in theory, it should just be able to fit the front with enough space left on each side?

I think the width for the Trailwings as a rear tyre compared to my current is a bit too small so I was thinking maybe a Dunlop Trailmax 130/80-17 65S should fit ok?

I really don't know much about tyre fittings and their sizes and whether tyres should match the sizes listed on the owners manual exactly and if that's not the case, I would love to go for 140/80-17 69H in the Trailmax range offered by Dunlop since the clearance for the rear exceeds 150mm.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Reckon you'll be pushing it by going with anything over 100/90 on the front, the tyres I have on my SM set up are purely road tyres, and not on/off road type such as the Bridgestone trailwing, or the Dunlop Trailmax same as I have on the XT600, which I'd deffo reccommend, your problem would be getting them the right size for your SM set up, but to give you an idea of size you can use, I have Dunlop Arrowmax on mine, 100x90x18 on the front, and 130x80x17 on the rear, 140 being about the max width you can go comfortably on the rear I'd say.

Another route to go down, and one I did for the DT is to have 2 set ups, one for Enduro, 21" front, 18" rear, and SM 18"/17" front 18"/17" rear, you can swap over from one to the other in roughly 30-45mins, and have the type of set up depending on the circumstances/conditions you need to ride your bike, as in my opinion, an Enduro set up copes with Winter conditions better than the SM does.

why not just get a set of R wheels? then you have supermoto and enduro wheels. like it should be? then u can have proper off road wheels and tires but also the same for on road? the very best of both. instead of ones that are 'okay' on both

Beat me to it nev. The sm look needs slick looking tyres same as a supersports bike which are frankly crap in the real world.

Probably a point to add would be that if changing to a 21" front you'll need a speedo drive for it on the spindle/wheel, as your speedo will be calibrated for a smaller wheel.

Also possibly need to lace a XT X hub into an R rim, providing the XTX has the larger disc, and twinpot caliper same as does the DTX.

i have enduro wheels on my supermoto. only thing is that the front disc on the X (supermoto) is 2cm larger, so just swap the disc to what ever front wheel your using or buy a spare X disk so u have one on each front wheel, as for the speedo the XT125 (2005-) have an enduro and supermoto mode on the speedo, just unplug battery for a few seconds to get the option to change modes.

i have enduro wheels on my supermoto. only thing is that the front disc on the X (supermoto) is 2cm larger, so just swap the disc to what ever front wheel your using or buy a spare X disk so u have one on each front wheel, as for the speedo the XT125 (2005-) have an enduro and supermoto mode on the speedo, just unplug battery for a few seconds to get the option to change modes.

also maybe an R kickstand so the bike dose not topple over on the tall new set up.

Another route to go down, and one I did for the DT is to have 2 set ups, one for Enduro, 21" front, 18" rear, and SM 18"/17" front 18"/17" rear, you can swap over from one to the other in roughly 30-45mins, and have the type of set up depending on the circumstances/conditions you need to ride your bike, as in my opinion, an Enduro set up copes with Winter conditions better than the SM does.

why not just get a set of R wheels? then you have supermoto and enduro wheels.

I'm not really a fan of the Enduro raised front style to be honest and swapping it over seems like a hassle with all these speedometer calibrations etc. Would the bike benefit from replacing just the rear tyre to a Trailmax or is that just going to make it look a bit odd. I guess Nev and Cynic is right about SMs having slick looking tyres but I wouldn't mind compromising a little of the looks for better grip on bad road surfaces/conditions.

• 4 weeks later...

HI THERE I HAVE FOUND THIS VERY INTERESTING,. I REALLY DO NEED ADVISE HERE ASWELL PLEASE I HAVE A XT 125X WITH THE STANDARD 17 INCH WHEELS ON BOTH , IM AFTER THE BIGGER WHEELS WITH CHUNKY TRAIL TYRES, ( NOT MOTORCROSS ) IS IT RIGHT THAT THE WHEELS OFF A XT 125R WILL FIT STRAIGHT ONTO MY BIKE, IF ANYTHING ELSE IS NEEDED COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS LIKE BRAKE DISCS, WHAT SIZE TYRES WOULD BE BEST ETC. AS I HAVE ASKED THIS QUESTION TO MY MATES SO MANY TIMES ANY THEY TELL ME IN MOTORBIKE LANGUAGE . WELL I KNOW THE BASICS AND THATS IT, THANK YOU . :spin2:

• 2 weeks later...

I think you'll find the x forks are longer than the r which I don't think will be a problem in terms of fouling the mudguard but will pick up the front of the bike by 50-75mm. You could reduce this by sliding the forks up through the yokes. You could fit handlebar bracket extensions which would give a bit more room.

Certainly the x tryes I've seen wouldnt inspire confidence in winter conditions!

Best of luck

there is a slight difference in disc size, other then that it will fit together and run. just use the X discs on both of the wheels as that's what will fit in your calipers, the R ones will be too small. hope that helps.

I think you'll find the x forks are longer than the r which I don't think will be a problem in terms of fouling the mudguard but will pick up the front of the bike by 50-75mm. You could reduce this by sliding the forks up through the yokes. You could fit handlebar bracket extensions which would give a bit more room.

Certainly the x tryes I've seen wouldnt inspire confidence in winter conditions!

Best of luck

yeah what he said, X wheels to me are more of a summer thing lol. epic dry weather cornering, but when its sleet or icey the trail tires tend to make me feel abit more at ease, plus i do like to mess about off road alot.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online