1971Yamaha cs3 200 electric

VeloGypse
This post is 4152 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello, Im trying to fix up a 1971 yamaha cs3 200 electric. The oiler isn't working so I am premixing the gasoline and running it as such at 1:32 ratio. I've gotten it running idling and revving just fine. When I go to accelerate though it bogs down as soon as I release the clutch no matter how much gas it is being given or high it is revved. Sometimes it will pull away for half a block or so until it bogs out. Im new to working with 2-strokes. If anyone has good links with information on them it would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Michael Osier

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Great looking bikes and forerunner to the RD200. How about some pics mate.Check the condition of the points and make sure jets are clean in carbs. Someone with more knowledge than me will give you better advice.

Bogs out....

Not a whole lot of good that.

What are the plugs like after she cuts. Will she re start. Has it ever run ok.

Have you been into the motor. Rebored? Lastly is she twin or single carb.....

Their gristle not crystal. Bit more info would be a big help.

It was my girlfriends grandma's which she bought off the side of the road for super cheap (she wheels and deals) so I really have no clue as to if it has run or not. It's been sitting for a year or so. Hasn't been rebored to my knowledge (but I don't see why it would have been since its a lil bitty 200 plus the condition it seemed to be kept in I don't think the previous owner would have cared that much as they were running it without the oiler) and is twin carbureted, two cylinder. I already cleaned out the the carbs, used carb cleaner and compressed air so they should be dandy. New gaskets too. Haven't checked the points...suppose that would be a good place to start, but seeing as it idle's fine I would think they would be good enough to at least pull away. New plugs too. However I didn't set the clearance on them. I ordered the stock plugs. If they're new manufacturer recommended plugs does the gap need to be adjusted? I didn't think of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Had any success? I bought a CS5 last May that was supposed to be in great shape, was told by the seller that I could ride it back to Mississippi from Nebraska. Glad I didn't try, I'd still be out there somewhere. I've found way too many things wrong, beginning with the left and right carb float bowls being switched. That's bad. Also anything that sits with gas in it for very long these days is gonna require three or four thorough cleanings to ensure you cleared all the passageways. Then there's the crank seals. 41 year- old bike, there gonna be shot and suck air, leaning the mixture. These are places I'd look hard at. That being said, now that I've got most things sorted, this little 198cc bugger is a blast to ride. Just needs one more gear...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online