First time owner

This post is 4304 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello! Last weekend, during a visit home to see family, I bought my dad's bike. A 1983 Virago XV500.

About a year ago he bought the bike from a family friend with the intent of using it as a commuter bike. He did what was needed to get it running, and then just let it sit, running it occasionally just to make sure it still ran. Since he wasn't using it, I decided it would be better off being my commuter bike.

I know I need to replace the front tire and should probably replace the rear one, too even though the tread looks fine. Any thoughts?

I'd like to find an owner's/repair manual. My google searching abilities don't appear to be up to snuff.

This is the first bike I've owned and, once I get it registered, will be the first one I've ridden. Any help or tips is much appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and Welcome to the YOC, if this is your fiirst bike and you have never riden before then this thing will kill you in a heart beat, it's a 500cc missile and unless you have some serious training before you ride it then you are going to become a stastistic. Go to your local rider training course and learn to ride a small bike before you even contemplate getting on this thing, it looks easy from a distance but I have been riding for over 45 years and can say that you have no idea how bad this machine can hurt you. Sorry if I sound like your Dad or I'm telling you what to do but this is a BAD decision.

:welcome: aboard rocketman! Not sure which state you're in, but in Idaho we have a STAR (skills training advantage for riders) program. I would highly recommend it or something similar. :thumb:

Thanks for the welcome! Sacha, I'm living in Florida right now. I'm signed up for a basic rider course run by the MSF, mostly because I need to learn the basics, but I also need it to be able to ride on base. I'll be using one of their bikes for the course. They have either Rebel 125's or 250's. The MSF also has an advanced rider course I plan on taking in a couple weeks.

Hi Rocketman, welcome to the forum.

But please listen to what Slice and Sacha has said.

I don't know what the requirements in the states are but over here they are very stringent.

I can only presume your avitar is of you and your very pretty wife/girlfriend.

So don't be another statistic.

Thanks for the welcome! Sacha, I'm living in Florida right now. I'm signed up for a basic rider course run by the MSF, mostly because I need to learn the basics, but I also need it to be able to ride on base. I'll be using one of their bikes for the course. They have either Rebel 125's or 250's. The MSF also has an advanced rider course I plan on taking in a couple weeks.

Sounds like a good deal (the MSF course). You'll be glad you did. :)

Florida, eh? Nice year round weather there ya?