New guy

This post is 6176 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and pretty new to the 2 stroke thing. I JUST bought a 1973 Yamaha CT3 175 in great shape. However, it seems to stumble a bit at higher RPMs. I've seen this problem described several times on bikes for sale and figure there's some common thing that causes it. However, I don't know what the cure is. Are there any 2stroke guys out there that might have an answer?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi m8 welcome aboard, not a 2 stroker myself, but i am sure one of the 2 strokers will be along soon ;)

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and pretty new to the 2 stroke thing. I JUST bought a 1973 Yamaha CT3 175  in great shape. However, it seems to stumble a bit at higher RPMs. I've seen this problem described several times on bikes for sale and figure there's some common thing that causes it. However, I don't know what the cure is. Are there any 2stroke guys out there that might have an answer?

Thanks

It sounds like your main jet is clogged. I have found on my own CT3 that was the case when I got it.. The main jet is easy to remove and replace, or if you have something to clean it with, (i use 1 strand of wire from a wire brush), this would be an easy place to start. Do not make the hole any bigger with a drillbit! also check your sparkplug and make sure it is correct as well as the correct gap.

Another culprit could be a dirty or even missing air filter. These are still avail. from Yamaha at your local yamaha dealer.. There is yet another possible place to check, your points. if they points are set incorrectly, or worn this would cause misfire at mid to high R's. Im restoring a ct3 now, and I would be glad to offer any assistance I can. Best of luck!

Breakpoint

It sounds like your main jet is clogged. I have found on my own CT3 that was the case when I got it.. The main jet is easy to remove and replace, or if you have something to clean it with, (i use 1 strand of wire from a wire brush), this would be an easy place to start. Do not make the hole any bigger with a drillbit! also check your sparkplug and make sure it is correct as well as the correct gap.

Another culprit could be a dirty or even missing air filter. These are still avail. from Yamaha at your local yamaha dealer.. There is yet another possible place to check, your points. if they points are set incorrectly, or worn this would cause misfire at mid to high R's. Im restoring a ct3 now, and I would be glad to offer any assistance I can. Best of luck!

Breakpoint

:welcome: to the Forum 2stroker

Being a fellow stroker fan myself, I tend to agree with Breakpoints suggestion of an issue with the points being set correctly vs. a clogged main jet ;)

The Best of luck in sorting it out--

Thanks for the advice guys. (I don't know if I'm "replying" right.) Shortly after writing that letter, the bike quit altogether. Since I just bought it from a 75yr. old guy on eBay, (3,800 orig. mi.) and the gas smelled a bit old, (and so did he) I cleaned out the carb. and tank. Still a no go. Looked for spark, and had none. Like an idiot, I completely overlooked the spark plug because it looked newish. A fresh plug and gas, and it runs well, but not perfect. I think it needs a carb and points tweek, and a good hard run.

I'm also having a '73 Yamaha RT360 (8900 orig mi.) delivered in a week or so I got on eBay, so I'm sure I'll need some more advice along the way.

Thanks again all....

Thanks for the advice guys. (I don't know if I'm "replying" right.)  Shortly after writing that letter, the bike quit altogether. Since I just bought it from a 75yr. old guy on eBay, (3,800 orig. mi.) and the gas smelled a bit old, (and so did he) I cleaned out the carb. and tank. Still a no go. Looked for spark, and had none. Like an idiot, I completely overlooked the spark plug because it looked newish. A fresh plug and gas, and it runs well, but not perfect. I think it needs a carb and points tweek, and a good hard run.

I'm also having a '73 Yamaha RT360 (8900 orig mi.) delivered in a week or so I got on eBay, so I'm sure I'll need some more advice along the way.

Thanks again all....

Hey, I think I watched that Ebay auction. That was not too long ago maybe a month?.. The bike was in GREAT looking shape, but the windshield HAS to go :-) (if its the bike I think it was).. Also One thing I had noticed on that bike (if it's the same) is that the rear blinker lenses were red.. which is incorrect for that bike. They should be Amber.. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck CT3's have a look you just cannot get these days anymore.. Like a fine old 50's or 60's Buick or Caddy. Curves, Chrome, and the gold paint which is near Impossile to recreate! In fact i have a picture of it from the ebay auction on my hdd still ... :-)

BP

The one with the windshield is the one I bought!! The windshield was off before the bike went into the Uhaul. The neighbor who was helping him with the eBay part of the sale was a young guy (30ish) and I mumbled the EXACT same thing to him about the windshield. He just smirked, winked, and said "oooh yeah".

What's the deal with the blinker lenses?? Are you sure they should be amber?? I've never seen a picture of a brand new CT3, so I have nothing to compare it to. If they're really supposed to be amber, I'll have to hunt down a pair.

Am I reading the service manual right?? Is replacing the points and setting the timing a gigantic pain in the ass? Removing the head to mount a dial gauge? ( I'll have to read the procedure again, I just skimmed over it the first time. )

• 2 weeks later...

The one with the windshield is the one I bought!!  The windshield was off before the bike went into the Uhaul. The neighbor who was helping him with the eBay part of the sale was a young guy (30ish) and I mumbled the EXACT same thing to him about the windshield. He just smirked, winked, and said "oooh yeah".

What's the deal with the blinker lenses?? Are you sure they should be amber?? I've never seen a picture of a brand new CT3, so I have nothing to compare it to. If they're really supposed to be amber, I'll have to hunt down a pair. 

Am I reading the service manual right??  Is replacing the points and setting the timing a gigantic pain in the ass? Removing the head to mount a dial gauge? ( I'll have to read the procedure again, I just skimmed over it the first time. )

Congrads!,

That was / is a VERY nice bike. I have some pics of my bike on http://www.bikepics.com/yamaha/ct3-175/ . also if you enter a google search and filter for images only, you should be able to find factory posters and pics of the bikes new. Keep her in good condition because that is one of the best CT3's I have EVER seen in my lifetime. The points are not very hard to replace at all. Big thing is you need a flywheel puller to get to the points. Many times it is better to clean the contact surfaces of your original points before you try and replace them. And Yes, I am sure that they (blinkers) are supposed to be amber, but its no big deal.. just keep your eyes open on Ebay for some amber lenses. Best of luck again!

• 1 year later...

:welcome: to the Forum 2stroker

Being a fellow stroker fan myself, I tend to agree with Breakpoints suggestion of an issue with the points being set correctly vs. a clogged main jet ;)

The Best of luck in sorting it out--

"2Stroker" .... You said you purchased a 175 with 3,800 original miles? Is this bike "blue" in color? I saw it on the web and looks great! If you are ever interested in selling this bike please contact me at [email protected] thanks!

• 4 months later...

Hey, I think I watched that Ebay auction. That was not too long ago maybe a month?.. The bike was in GREAT looking shape, but the windshield HAS to go :-) (if its the bike I think it was).. Also One thing I had noticed on that bike (if it's the same) is that the rear blinker lenses were red.. which is incorrect for that bike. They should be Amber.. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck CT3's have a look you just cannot get these days anymore.. Like a fine old 50's or 60's Buick or Caddy. Curves, Chrome, and the gold paint which is near Impossile to recreate! In fact i have a picture of it from the ebay auction on my hdd still ... :-)

BP

I still have my 1973 175 and it came with red blinker lenses on the rear. (They're still on it)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online