XJ600 (1991 pre div) Rectifier/Regulator Advice please

rowlyd
This post is 4307 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Everyone,

My first post here so I hope I'm on the right area of the forum and profuse apologies if all this has been asked before, I did a search but could not find anything to answer my query, which is...

Tried to start the bike a couple of days ago and turned over very sluggish and would not catch. When I got home from work I looked at the battery and there was no fluid visible that I could see. Thought it would be toasted by I topped it up with distilled water and what do you know, it started the bike and has held a good charge since, (checked this with a multimeter 12.7v). Anyhow when the bike is running the battery is bubbling away like a boiling kettle and this got me worried enough to do a bit of research and I now think the rectifier/regulator may be overcharging the battery.

I've put a multimeter on the battery with the bike running and I'm getting up to 17.5v at the terminals and never less than 14-15v. I think I need to do a diode check on the rectifier but I'm nearly sure I going to buy a new rectifier since the battery can't last long with this amount of overcharge can it?

So the question is...... do I buy the standard rectifier/regulator which bears the code SH569a-12. It has a 4 pin (3 input 1 output) connector on the rectifier and seems to be grounded via its casing onto an aluminium plate/heatsink. Or is there a more robust model with some fins to help heat transfer which I think would help with longevity.

I don't do a lot of electrical work so don't be fooled by the references to a multimeter etc since I followed the famous 'motorcycle charging checklist' from electrosport.com. I'll be following their diode checklist in the next couple of days.

I don't mind spending the money (around £50 for a standard rec/reg I think) but would like to get as robust and reliable rec/reg as I can, any thoughts?

Many thanks for the help

rowlyd

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

have you looked at electrex world? get the reg/rev code RR?? and google that number to find the cheapest.

most modern reg/rec are reliable nowerdays

common problem, my XJ had the same problem and i found it had melted the plug that went into the reg, spares are available cheapest on eBay, just search XJ600 regulator and make sure it is for the pre-div years (84-91 i think)

Thanks guys,

I'll have a look at the website for a suitable RR code. I suppose the one on the bike must have had a bit of a shock being called into duty after 10 years rest. It never gave any trouble before the layup so I suppose it was reliable in its own way. Also, knowing that this is quite a common problem and not something obviously wrong with the wiring loom etc gives me confidence to get one of the same type.

Thanks for the help

rowlyd

OK with regulator rectifiers you get what you pay for. Ebay is likely to be able to provide you with a nice made in China copy that will work OK, maybe.

We have a 'universal' regulator is not made in the East and is very reliable, its a quality part, not £50 and is one of our best sellers. It is very robust and can dissipate much more heat then standard units. it works on any 3 phase permanent generators and is very popular with builders of specials

We can supply a patch lead as well. Here's the link:

http://www.rexs-speedshop.com/epages/es143131.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es143131/Products/RR12V-2http://www.rexs-speedshop.com/epages/es143131.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es143131/Products/RR12V-2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online